The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2009, 09:49 AM   #1
THERAVEN

Need help with a Lyman turbo 1200 tumbler

I just bought a Lyman turbo 1200 case tumbler and no instructions came with it. I bought Lyman treated Tufnut with it. I don't know how much media you put to how much brass. Is there a sight to got to, I looked and couldn't find one. Could one of you help me with the problem?
Old June 1, 2009, 10:39 AM   #2
314EPW

fill line

fill it 3/4 of the way up.will do 50 rifle,or 100 pistol.
Old June 1, 2009, 10:57 AM   #3
stang46gt

PDF of the manual

http://www.reloadbench.com/downloads...ionGuide11.pdf
Old June 1, 2009, 03:33 PM   #4
maggys drawers

You might get dark brown spots on your polished brass with the Tuff Nut. I had this happen on the only batch of the stuff I ever bought. It appeared to be a rouge buildup from the media. Wiped right off with a little mineral spirits, but the brass was darker underneath from not being exposed to the media as much as the rest of the case. I switched to lizard litter from Petco and never had the problem again.
Old June 1, 2009, 06:16 PM   #5
jepp2

Page 4 of the manual lists the charge weight. 2 pounds of a normal 1200, 3 pounds if Autoflow. Don't shortchange the change quantity. It really affects the turnover in the 1200 tumbler.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:49 PM   #6
PCJim

I keep my used media stored in recycled Arizona Iced Tea jugs. They are one gallon in size and have a relatively large mouth which works perfect with a funnel I made from the top of a 2 liter soda bottle. One jug of walnut media is a good measure for the amount of media you will need for the large bowl of the Lyman 1200. I state large bowl, as some 1200's are sold with both a large and small bowl.

When you get an itch to try something different, go to your nearest Wally World and pick up a bag of Kytee walnut bird litter, appx $7 for 5-6 lbs. Splash 2-3 tablespoons of mineral spirits or paint thinner in there, let it tumble for 10 minutes to mix/distribute, then add your brass (always do this regardless of what media/additive you use!). Your brass WILL come out clean. Use unscented mineral spirits if the solvent odor is offensive.

Also, look at getting an appliance/light timer to govern your tumble time. Two hours is a plenty, and can easily be controlled if you have a life other than just watching a tumbler.