The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 19, 1999, 01:34 AM   #1
frogman6

I was going to start reloading , then I opened a catalog WOW! , need help picking equip. there are so many choices . I am not planning to reload a large amount of ammo all at once . I just want to get started and learn how to do it , more for a hobbie than to save money by starting my own factory.............thanks

------------------
frogman6
Old August 19, 1999, 08:30 AM   #2
bfoster

frogman6... I'd start by selecting at least one good manual, and recommend Lyman's 47th edition. There is a section detailing the basics in most manuals. As an alternative, please repost detailing what you wish to load, and I'm sure you will get some help. Bob
Old August 19, 1999, 04:40 PM   #3
frogman6

for starters I was going to load some .223 and some .45 auto , then later once I had gained some exp. , some .30 cal. rifle cartridges. I was also hopeing for some recomendations of some different machines , I'd like something of a mid priced machine , but nothing that is too cheap to work well.....thanks

------------------
frogman6
Old August 19, 1999, 07:32 PM   #4
Trooper

Pricing is relative to what you can afford. My advice is to remember that you get what you pay for. You will also get many opinions on equipment, each one just as valid as the next. I have used three different brands: RCBS Rockchucker, Lee Pro 1000 and Loadmaster, and Dillon. Of all three I prefer the Dillon---it just can't be beat and is a good example of you get what you pay for.

I know from experience that while you may start out just wanting to have fun and not load a whole lot of ammo----that WILL change. I would suggest the Dillon RL 550 or if you can swing it, the XL 650. It may cost you in the beginning, but either machine will be able to handle any increase in interest or difference in calibers you may want to load in the future. Lifetime no BS warranty, toll free calls, free tech support, and a desire to please are trademarks of Dillon. You won't regret buying one.
Old August 19, 1999, 08:29 PM   #5
bfoster

frogman6... If you are seriously interested in a progressive (and I am bearing in mind your initial comment that you don't want to start your own factory) Trooper is quite correct. The Dillon machines are the best quality progressives (I own a Dillon 1050) short of a commercial machine like a high end Camdex. But if you want to start on something simpler that will last a lifetime, it would be hard to beat either the RCBS "Rockchucker" or the Redding "Boss". Both are available in kit form- almost everything you will need to reload is in the kit. In any event, you will have use for a single stage press as it can do some things that really shouldn't be done on a progressive (like heavy duty case forming if you ever build a wildcat), or that really are more easily accomplished on a single stage press (like loading just a few rounds of one calibre when the progressive is set up for another calibre you are going to need to load soon- praticularily if primer size is different). I've never had a negative service experience with either RCBS or Redding. I don't think it is policy at either firm, but I have received free parts from both from time to time.

Trooper is right on one other count. You will "save" money loading your own ammunition. But almost everyone I know who handloads shoots more than they did when they were purchasing factory cartridges. A lot more.

Best of luck, and feel free to post any further queries/reactions.
Old August 19, 1999, 09:00 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Browse around and learn prices. Then, check a couple of gunshows and see if anybody has a used press. If not rusty, they're as good as a brand new one. And there is a lot of "stuff" available, also; you can save a ton of money.

Any pistol dies you get oughta be new, and get carbide sizing dies.

I've read a few grumps about today's RCBS dies, but the older ones are okay. Used dies for rifle are commonly okay--a lot less usage than pistol dies.

I've checked used scales against new, and had no problems. I've always weighed my rifle loads, and used a powder measure for pistol loads.

There is a lot of information here on this forum; reset your "Show Topics" to, say, 100 days and browse--and it'll take some time! There's commentary about equipment, and a good bit of loading data + comments on various powders.

Best regards, Art
Old August 23, 1999, 01:08 PM   #7
Nestor Rivera

I will be alone in the wilderness here but if you want to 'try before you buy' go with the LEE Anniversary Kit. can be had for $72 from graf and sons or F&M Reloading
http://www.fmreloading.com

(no I dont work there) comes with Book,Press (single stage) Powder Measure, Hand primer, powder funnel,lube,case prep tools. just add a set of dies, primers and powder and you are ready to GO
Old August 23, 1999, 08:22 PM   #8
HankL

frogman6,
IMHO, if I was starting off from scratch with no local assistance I would start slow as I did. There is nothing wrong with starting with a single stage press, simple cartridge, etc. learn all of the basics and then move forward.
Get yourself to the point where you can answer other's questions before you move forward. When that press feels a little funny
you might know why and what to look for.
Enjoy your experiance, purchase chronographs,
more chronographs, all the books you can find. Store your data, evaluate your data, and have fun. But be safe.
It ends up being more than a hobby!
The best to you,
Hank
Old August 24, 1999, 12:59 AM   #9
blades67

As long as you're looking for advise, I also recommend Dillon. You have many options with Dillon. The AT500 is a stripped down RL550B with a universal shell plate. If you decide that you need a progressive press, all you have to do is buy a few upgrades when you have the money, then presto!, instant RL550B. If you have more questions, or want more info, you can e-mail me.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~
Old August 25, 1999, 12:33 AM   #10
Colduglandon

Check the back of the Lee manual for offer on refurbished equipment for folks new to reloading. Friend told me about it.
Old August 25, 1999, 08:34 PM   #11
frogman6

Thanks for all the info , it has helped me make a decision , I'm gonna go with a single stage , probably an rcbs.........with the kit and everything..........that is after I get some money to start , I'm in the process of throwing away my money on high cap. ar mags , as I live in california (aka crap land )........thanks for the help

------------------
frogman6