The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2009, 12:26 AM   #1
Darsh

Sig P6 spring question...

Ok, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I had some issues today at the range with my Sig P6. I had 6 FTF today, using Atlanta Arms 115 gr. FMJ ammo. Now granted, 4 of those happened when firing one handed, as today was the first time I started trying to train firing with my right hand only, as I am getting very consistent with 2 hands, so those must have been limp-wristing.

Aaanyways... this is a 28 year old gun. I'm not sure if the mag springs have ever been changed, so my first inclination is to change those, and I will. The way it jammed was, the nose of the bullet got jammed into the small space between the feed ramp and the frame. Not angled at all. I tried Tap, Rack, Bang but nothing. I could not drop the mag either, the bullet was completely stuck. It wasn't until I held the slide back and tapped the bottom of the mag on the bench that I was able to clear the jam. Not exactly something you could do in a pressure situation.

FOR THOSE WHO SCAN: Here's my real question. I am thinking of changing the recoil and hammer spring. Stock for the recoil spring (according to Wolff's site) is 16 lbs. and I was thinking of dropping that to 14 possibly 15. The factory hammer spring is (again according to Wolff) 24 lbs! I would think of dropping that *no* lower than 18 lbs, maybe just to 20. Would doing either or both affect reliability adversely? I would think the hammer spring would be most important to not lower too much?

This is a carry gun for me, and I want it to be reliable. Maybe this is just a low powered batch of ammo but...
Old July 25, 2009, 01:00 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

If you want it to be reliable, the last thing you should do is change any springs.
Change the magazine.
Old July 25, 2009, 01:44 AM   #3
Darsh

Would at least replacing them with new springs of the same type be a good idea? I'm not sure it needs that, but after today, hmm...
Old July 25, 2009, 03:42 AM   #4
Bill DeShivs

SIG knows what kind of springs to put in their guns. Springs don't generally get weak-regardless of what you read on the Internet.
Your feeding problem surely sounds like a magazine issue.
Old July 25, 2009, 03:56 AM   #5
Darsh

Thanks for the responses, Bill. I'll be changing out those springs and buying a new mag or two and see how that goes.