The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 20, 2013, 01:08 AM   #1
rmocarsky

Phoenix HP22 firing pin safety

Hello,

I have owned a Phoenix HP22 semiauto for about 20 years and fired it very little and a long time ago.

I was looking at it today and noticed that the firing pin safety on the slide easily falls to the "on" position with the least bit of effort. I mean if the gun is shaken hard, it will fall from "fire" to "safe."

I am not the original owner so I have no warranty and I have read where someone on the internet had the same problem and super-glued the switch to stay permanently in the "fire" position.

Does this sound feasible?

I thought maybe something like lok-tite.

What would be the best way to make the firing pin safety stay permanently in the "fire" position.

It has a frame slide-stop safety which is all I ever used when I would take it to the range.

Rmocarsky
Old April 25, 2013, 07:53 PM   #2
nanewt02

I'm not familiar with the exact workings but obviously there is some sort of spring or something that is supposed to keep it from moving, it obviously needs to be strengthened ,If you tell me what kind of mechanism it has I can explain how to fix it
Old April 25, 2013, 08:03 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Without seeing the gun....

First is a parts diagram I found on Stevepages.com:

http://stevespages.com/pdf/phoenix_h...hp25-hp25a.pdf

I bet the spring for the safety is worn, bent or damaged

or

the safety is worn and does not have sufficient contact surface with the safety spring.
Old April 25, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
nanewt02

perfect. well it looks like it is time to fire up a welder, buy a new part, or a better spring. from what i understsand, this problem applies to more than one gun, so, i might first try a stiffer spring
Old April 26, 2013, 12:00 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suspect the spring is either missing or has weakened over time and is not working right. Note that it is a flat spring and any gunsmith should be able to make a replacement. Also note that the maker does not call it a safety, but rather a firing pin block. It keeps the firing pin from moving but does not prevent the trigger from being pulled or the hammer from falling as most safeties do.

Jim
Old April 28, 2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

If the spring is still there, you might try being a small bow in it, in the direction that it applies pressure. A lot of times, that's all that's needed. Another thing to check, is that the springs recess is not dirty, or the spring is rubbing, which may have to be cleared.