The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 27, 2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Bighitch

Zastava M92 AK 47 Pistol.....help!

Not sure if I am posting in the right place, so sorry in advance if it isnt.

Just got my M92 today and already went to get what I need to stain the furniture. I realized I am going to need a vice to get the wood off the top handguard. Here is what I need help with:

1. I cant seem to get the top handguard to go back into place, it stops just above where the pin should pop out to hold it in place.

2. to remove the bottom handguard, do you remove just the wood and if so how?

Greatly appreciate any help, right now I cant even get the gun reassembled let alone get the furniture off
Old January 27, 2013, 11:51 AM   #2
SDF880

Check Youtube M-92 videos. I remember seeing one on this going through the M-92 videos.

SDF880
Old January 29, 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
blfuller

The upper handguard is rotated off about the bore of the gas tube, just put a leather glove on and fix the portion that goes into the end opposite of the gas tube in a vise. Don't tighten it too much and twist 180 degrees and slide off. It may be difficult.

The lower handguard is removed by flipping a little "L" shaped lever on the handguard retainer to the rear and sliding the retainer towards the front sight/gas block. You may need to use a brass punch and hammer to get it started.
Old February 1, 2013, 12:02 AM   #4
Bighitch

The vid helped but now I cant get lower handguard back on.....any tricks?
Old February 2, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
HawkeyeNRAlifer

It's a little tight when new. I just used a rubber mallet to tap it back into the receiver so I could drop the little front locking lever in place.
Old February 2, 2013, 04:38 PM   #6
9mm

No tools to remove it, just a pain, theres some leveler you have to pull up/to lock or something. I did it once before to stain my wood(which didn't take ) The lower I believe you have to pull down and wiggle it a bit because the wood is in the metal tight.
Old February 2, 2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Mrgunsngear

As others have stated, rotate the lever on the muzzle end of the lower handguard retainer 180 degrees. You may need a pair of pliers to do this on a new gun... Then tap it toward the muzzle. Once it's all the way forward, pull the handguard toward the muzzle; you may have to wiggle it.