The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 17, 2015, 07:49 PM   #1
FrontierGander

Range time with the updated Hawken

Well, not only is the Hawken updates with new steel trim " Still a work in progress" I got some new contacts and wanted to see how well she " the lady that did my eyes" got them as far as open sight shooting goes.

Im using a 32" deer creek barrel with 1:66 twist in .58 caliber shooting patched round balls.

90gr Olde Eynsford 2fg
.018" patches
Frontier's anti-rust & Patch lube
Home cast .570" round balls
Hot Shot Nipple
CCI #11 caps

No swabbing or cool down was needed today as the sun was down and quite comfortable.

Distance: 100 yards. Masking take over the rear sight is basically a sun shade to cut the glare of the sun as it was over my back left shoulder.

Steel Hawken style trigger upgrade. I hated that brass hooked finger thing!

First 2 shots,

4 shots total,

I am using a thinner .018" patch for testing its accuracy and while its extremely accurate, I see small signs of my 90gr 2fg load being boarder line from gas cutting. This load I shoot out to 170 yards with great accuracy, so I am not worried about using more powder. Olde Eynsford is like T7 in the black powder world, a hotter more powerful powder which lets you cut back in grains to achieve the same FPS as you would if you use normal goex/pyrodex.

Damn right I am thrilled!

Another change was the wedge key. The steel wedge key plates used the thicker "height wise" wedge key and I had to file fit the plates for it to go through. My barrel and tang is completely bedded so I was worried about some wiggle room between the barrel and wedge key. All appears to be just fine as it is.
Old July 19, 2015, 12:19 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Good shooting and good for you! Looks like you've got her figured out pretty well - you can be proud of that target!

So . . . how's the shoulder holding out?

You did a nice job on the rifle - looks great!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 19, 2015, 06:21 PM   #3
99whip

Great looking updates you are making on your Hawken. I like the more subtle grey look the gun is taking on. Do you have a build thread you had posted for your modifications I could look at? Planning my own redo and like seeing what others are doing.

Nice shooting.