The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 11, 2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Jdougg92

AK47 SBR vs 7.62 AR15 SBR

Very quickly I've become familiar with AR15 rifles and own 3. The opportunity to trade one of my AR15 rifles for an AK47 pistol has arisen (an Arsenal Sam7k).

Is it as easy to modify and customize AK47 rifles and pistols across a variety of brands and not really have to worry about it fitting?
One issue I have read about the Sam7k in particular is that it is a milled receiver and not stamped (what ever that means) and there are really no stock options for it.

Having never shot any AK variant (closest being a Sig 556)...
Is it worth the money to invest in an AK47 SBR?
Is it a unique experience or it would a 7.62 conversion on an AR15 be a better option?
Old July 11, 2015, 07:28 AM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

My experience with 7.62x39 ARS has not been good. I had a colt one that would not run cheap ammo like I wanted. My friend had a pistol set up that won't run.

AK all the way.
Old July 23, 2015, 10:09 PM   #3
Mobuck

There are so many variations of the AK platform and lots of parts don't interchange. Pretty much exactly opposite of the AR15. With the AK you don't have the "change out" options that are available with the AR.
Old July 23, 2015, 10:57 PM   #4
Sharkbite

AR15's in 7.62x39 have been plagued with problems. Once in a while you will find one that runs well, but the vast majority do not. Broken bolt lugs, mags that dont feed. Lots of issues.

If you want a X39, then go AK. Lot of places specialize in making that platform ROCK. Anything you can imagine doing...it can be done. Check out Rifle Dynamics out of Vegas for the best of the best.

If you want to stick with the AR15 platform AND shoot 30cal bullets, look into the 300blackout cartridge. You will need to reload to get anywhere near X39 ammo prices but its a kickass way to get X39 ballistics out of an AR package.
Old July 24, 2015, 07:39 AM   #5
Mobuck

"AR15's in 7.62x39 have been plagued with problems. Once in a while you will find one that runs well, but the vast majority do not. Broken bolt lugs, mags that dont feed. Lots of issues."

I must be lucky or just don't shoot the way some folks do. I have/had 3 AR's in 7.62x39(still have 2-one homemade). Use good mags and feeding issues aren't a problem. The bolt lug issue?? I don't hear anything about that lately. Maybe I'm just not in the loop or maybe that was a problem that's been solved. I sort of wonder if the bolt lug thing is/was like the highly advertised "polymer lowers will split for no reason" issue. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a lathe and milling machine is modifying AR parts for special uses so there may be or have been some hokus pokus with some parts.
Regarding the 7.62x39 SBR/pistol: I've got to say the 300AAC is a far better choice. Far more efficient and far less obnoxious to shoot. The only disadvantage is you're going to want to pickup your brass and reload it vs the steel case ammo of the x39.

Tags
ak47 , arsenal , sam7k , sbr