The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 17, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
TITAN308

Project update to share with you guys.

We are satisfied with the weight/looks at this point. Next on the "to do" list is studying some liquid cooling setups that will match our criteria.

Some of you might recall the original prototype, nicknamed "BOXY" due to, well, its very box like shape. I think we progressed nicely from that point.

Edit: This is a .308 testbed, we hope to expand to .338 eventually.

Old April 17, 2012, 06:31 PM   #2
PawPaw

What does that thing weigh?

It's interesting as a concept rifle, but for the life of me, I can't see a purpose. Very interesting.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 17, 2012, 06:38 PM   #3
TITAN308

Its weighs as much as a Barret right about now.

Ill quote from our project information as to its purpose:

Quote:
Final Test: Two shooters of equal skill will be given 20 rounds of ammunition. One shooter will use a .308 bolt action rifle and one shooter will use the Project Titan .308 semi-auto rifle. These test results will be a combination of elapsed time to deplete all 20 cartridges and also measured accuracy on the target.
Real life application is not a concern at this stage of the game.

If we can put 20 rounds into a target with the same accuracy as a bolt action rifle, in 1/4th the time - this would make us happy and we can expand from there.

While the rifle does weigh a lot, its not the same as cheating and simply encasing the thing in a 500lb block of concrete. It still resembles and operates like a standard rifle in spirit. The shroud is only one part of the picture. Everything down to the components used play a factor.

And yes, we acknowledge that a bolt action of similar accuracy is far more cost effective. This however was never the point for us.
Old April 17, 2012, 06:50 PM   #4
FrosSsT

looks like it should be in halo 4
Old April 17, 2012, 07:10 PM   #5
rickyrick

So is the shroud to stabilize the barrel?

The thing looks kick butt.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:13 PM   #6
rickyrick

Semi auto... move it LOL.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:16 PM   #7
OEF-Vet

Thanks for sharing. This incarnation has great furniture improvements over the last. Does it shoot as well? Keep us posted.
Old April 17, 2012, 07:38 PM   #8
TITAN308

Quote:
So is the shroud to stabilize the barrel?
I would say its there to further stabilize movement of the entire rifle. The integrated muzzle brake alone does a great job of this, the added weight is like a nail in the coffin.

Also just to clarify - the entire system is free float. So no messing with the barrel harmonics.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. This incarnation has great furniture improvements over the last. Does it shoot as well? Keep us posted.
I kept telling all the people fixated on the appearance that this is how prototypes start out. Like a preschool toy block and then revisions slowly mold it into the final piece. I made the mistake of sharing it on BARFCOM, which quickly resulted in every insult you can imagine and I nicknamed it "BOXY".

I just got this unit back from the shop Monday, weather permitting I will be taking it out to the range this Saturday. If that happens I hope to capture some video.

Edit: First Prototype for Reference:

And a close up of the integrated Muzzle Brake:

Old April 17, 2012, 07:50 PM   #9
TITAN308

And one of our promotional teaser wallpapers.

Tomorrow night Ill have some with a female, cause who the hell wants to plaster my ugly face on their desktop.

Old April 17, 2012, 09:07 PM   #10
TX Hunter

I bet the guys on the Art of the Rifle Semi Auto Forum would love that
Old April 18, 2012, 08:53 AM   #11
THE RAVEN

Evactly....Semi is that way ------> LOL

S&W MP-15/22,S&W MP-15 .223,Remington SPS .308,Remington 870 A-TAC 12 ga,Savage Model 25 Walking Varminter .17 Hornet
Old April 18, 2012, 09:06 AM   #12
TITAN308

Ah, thought this was a general discussion of anything rifle.

A mod is free to move this thread if it is better suited elsewhere!
Old April 18, 2012, 09:22 AM   #13
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWCustoms
Real life application is not a concern at this stage of the game.
That's fine, everything doesn't need to have an immediate purpose. Sometimes, just expanding the horizon is enough. Keep searching, you'll find the answer.

Quote:
If we can put 20 rounds into a target with the same accuracy as a bolt action rifle, in 1/4th the time - this would make us happy and we can expand from there.
I know that Cooper's 20-20-20 challenge has been done (20 shots in 20 seconds into a 20 inch bull at 1000 yards), but this might be the rifle to do it again. Still, it's an interesting concept rifle and even if you guys aren't sure what it's for, what you've learned building it will be productive during some other experiments.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 18, 2012, 09:54 AM   #14
TITAN308

It originally started as a business idea, but slowly evolved into a project. There still may be business ventures to pursue down the line, but that has pretty much taken a back seat to everything else.

You would be amazed the amount of hatred some people display towards the project just because someone does not "see the point" in it. Even after explaining, if nothing else - its just to see what can and cannot be done.

"What a waste of money!" (Why do people care what I do with my money?)

"Whats the point?" (I've stated it like a thousand times now)

"Weighs to much and is useless." (Did you hax my laptop and stole our data?)

Its really sad. The days of inventing, tinkering, and so forth are often ridiculed - and 99.9% of the time for no reason at all other than people online are just d-bags.

We would love negative feedback, what we don't like its just rude, trolling, insulting remarks. How anyone outside of our development team could provide feedback (other than looks perhaps?) is beyond me as no one in the public has put any trigger time behind it.

We share the project because we are gun enthusiast just like everyone else. We gain nothing by sharing the project other than the discussion it produces. We've had to retract threads from other forums because people are just so rude. Usually on forums where manors are requested, but not enforced.

Just some food for though. Everyone should support anything that stirs innovation, regardless of the perceived usefulness.

Last edited by TITAN308; April 18, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old April 18, 2012, 11:09 AM   #15
TX Hunter

TITON308

Man I was just messin with you, its a cool project and innovative.
Old April 18, 2012, 11:15 AM   #16
TITAN308

Nothing to apologize for, I was commenting on my experience in other parts of the web, nothing here per say.
Old April 18, 2012, 11:56 AM   #17
BigMikey76

Oh my...

That is a marked improvement from the older "box" prototype. Nice looking lines and just tough looking. I know you said you haven't fired it, yet, but based on the data from the previous prototype, what kind of performance are you expecting out of it?
I can't wait to see this thing in action... definitely let us know when there are results - especially if there are pictures
Old April 18, 2012, 12:20 PM   #18
kraigwy

Quote:
"What a waste of money!" (Why do people care what I do with my money?)
Amen to that

Quote:
"Whats the point?"
Cause he "wants to" is all the "point" needed.

I don't think I would like that rifle, but I bet I have a shop full of projects the OP wouldn't like. He wouldn't condemn me and I wont condemn him.

Just about all firearm developments started out in someone's home shop and I bet each one, had someone setting back saying, "what a waste of money" or "whats the point".

Without back yard/home shop experimenters we'd still be living on the flat earth throwing rocks.

To the OP...................DRIVE ON
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 18, 2012, 12:41 PM   #19
TITAN308

Quote:
That is a marked improvement from the older "box" prototype. Nice looking lines and just tough looking. I know you said you haven't fired it, yet, but based on the data from the previous prototype, what kind of performance are you expecting out of it?
I can't wait to see this thing in action... definitely let us know when there are results - especially if there are pictures
The original prototype was made of aluminum, so while it did help in keeping on target and eliminating shot torque - it was not performing anywhere near what we wanted. Even after adding many of our modular weights, it was still to light for what we wanted.

This unit is made of pure American steel.

It weighs a lot more, enough to where we can use the entire compartment for other aspects (read: liquid cooling) and don't need to add any additional weight.

Ill quote one of my earlier responses for what we hope occurs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TITAN308
I would say its there to further stabilize movement of the entire rifle. The integrated muzzle brake alone does a great job of this, the added weight is like a nail in the coffin.

Also just to clarify - the entire system is free float. So no messing with the barrel harmonics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigwy
Just about all firearm developments started out in someone's home shop and I bet each one, had someone setting back saying, "what a waste of money" or "whats the point".

Without back yard/home shop experimenters we'd still be living on the flat earth throwing rocks.

To the OP...................DRIVE ON
Thanks for the kind comments.

You would be amazed the amount of people who saw the original "box" shape and just assumed that prototype = final model. Trying to explain and reason with them what a prototype is (often ugly and clunky) and I might as well have been speaking Chinese to them.

Some people just cannot control themselves when they log onto the internet.
Old April 18, 2012, 01:01 PM   #20
kraigwy

No your project is not ugly, this is Ugly.

Mann Accuracy device that the Army still uses today in testing the accuracy of small arms ammunition. I'm building such a cradle now for a Mann device I just ordered from the CMP.

Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 18, 2012, 01:13 PM   #21
rickyrick

Looking at the close ups, looks like some fine craftsmanship to me.

My only negative feelings are jealousy....I can't get time or money to sync up at the same point to work on any projects. With time being the biggest factor.

Most firearms are un-necessary if people wanna really look at it.

As a mini14 owner, I understand internet hatred.....LOL
Old April 18, 2012, 02:52 PM   #22
BigMikey76

Quote:
You would be amazed the amount of people who saw the original "box" shape and just assumed that prototype = final model. Trying to explain and reason with them what a prototype is (often ugly and clunky) and I might as well have been speaking Chinese to them.
Sadly, I don't think I would be surprised at all. There are too many people who make up their minds based on a first blush assessment, and no amount of explanation or evidence can change their minds.
Old April 18, 2012, 03:11 PM   #23
TITAN308

I made the mistake of posting on BARFCOM which is basically like throwing a small infant into a pack of wolves.
Old April 18, 2012, 07:16 PM   #24
saands

+100 to not needing to justify our creativity! There are a lot of things that are done just because we wondered "what if?" ... that's how we learn Boxy at least looks interesting ...

Kraig's Mann made me want to show my Mann (at the VERY small risk of hijacking the thread ... not enough of these out there to really have a chance of that) ... most people just shake their heads and wonder if the barrel is long enough to be legal ... it is actually 22" long, it's just so thick that it looks short

Saands
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mann 308 Right sm.jpg (106.7 KB, 217 views)
Old April 18, 2012, 07:44 PM   #25
TITAN308

So Im scouting some spare parts and a light bulb goes off.

Spare "extra high" scope rings + long bolt + drill = homemade monopod.

I can pretty it up later and find a base pad for the bolt.

Before we know it everything will be custom made on this thing down to the bolt carrier made out of old coke cans!