The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 20, 2010, 11:56 AM   #1
OnTheFly

Swiss Vetterli Ammo

I recently came into possession of a Swiss Vetterli rifle in 10.4x38 (.41) Swiss Rimfire.

After searching the web, I can not find anyone selling such ammo. Even if I could find some old ammo, I don't think it would be worth buying from the stories I have heard about it not going "boom" when you pull the trigger.

I have read on a couple websites how the rifle can be converted to center fire, and then it can be converted back to rimfire.

My question is, will this reduce the value of the rifle if it is even worth much to begin with?

Fly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00038 Resize.jpg (101.6 KB, 3064 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00039 Resize.jpg (145.1 KB, 2984 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00040 Resize.jpg (122.9 KB, 2970 views)

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 20, 2010, 08:18 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is not hard to make a new firing pin head and drill a hole to convert the old Swiss Vetterli into a center fire rifle. Then what? I did a quick check and didn't see any current CF cartridge case that would fit or could be made to fit. The few that come close are as hard to obtain as the .41 Swiss. Of course, cases could be made on a lathe, but would be very expensive. Certainly don't attempt to fire .41 Magnum in it, as was suggested on another site.

I have one, and a few cartridges. I did fire it a couple of times and it acts a bit like a heavy .44-40; nothing spectacular.

Jim
Old February 20, 2010, 09:00 PM   #3
OnTheFly

Here is one site that will manufacture obsolete rounds. Expensive...$30 for 20 smokeless rounds if I'm reading it correctly. Then $18 for bullets if you were going to reload.

I just thought it would be kind of fun to shoot it.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 21, 2010, 06:56 AM   #4
radom

if you go center fire 348 win can be cut and sized to .41 swiss
Old February 21, 2010, 03:51 PM   #5
OnTheFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by radom
if you go center fire 348 win can be cut and sized to .41 swiss
Thanks. Found this website about doing just that.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 21, 2010, 08:42 PM   #6
cloudcroft

Interesting...

348 Winchester is also used to make 8mm Lebel.

-- John D.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:42 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I had heard of the .348 conversion, but didn't mention it because the nominal base size is quite a bit bigger (.553) than the .41 Swiss (.534). Filing the base of the .348 case may work if the dimensions are not too far off (those darned tolerances again!) and the round is low powered, but thinning the case at a critical point is not good as a general practice.

Jim
Old February 28, 2010, 02:08 AM   #8
IRMalbert

I have a full box of 20 that I would part with for $75 + shipping if you want E-mail me at [email protected] Ill load pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.JPG (162.5 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0231.JPG (202.2 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0230.JPG (181.1 KB, 168 views)
Old February 28, 2010, 12:55 PM   #9
OnTheFly

IRMalbert,

Thanks for the offer, but I have read a few stories about such aged ammo not going boom as intended. One of the Vetterli owners bought a few boxes. After ever round in one box did not fire, he decided to sell the remaining full boxes as collector items. I think he made out pretty well.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old March 10, 2010, 12:02 PM   #10
Freightman

Go to http;//www.swissrifles.com it will tell you all you need to know about the Vetterli and by the way they will out shoot any Mouser made once you get the righ load. I use 8x50 French Lebal brass from Graffs $40 per 100 and Unique is the best performer as far as powder is concerned.
Old March 10, 2010, 01:44 PM   #11
OnTheFly

Thanks Freightman!

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old September 26, 2010, 11:46 AM   #12
Burrhead51

I have a 1881 Vetterli that is converted to center fire and I shoot this rifle quite frequently. My brass is made from 348 Winchester I use 38mm and 42mm length cases the old girl will take either. As to load I use Accurate Arms XMr5744 21 to 22 grains behind a Lee 310 grain cast bullet lubed with SPG Lube, I get very good results with this load. The rifle shoots about 14 inches high so I JB Welded an extension to the top of the front sight to put her on at 100 yards. I am experimenting with Trail Boss now as a propellant and if I get a good load I'll post the results.
This is a very easy conversion and a fellow shooter "Parashooter" has a excellent conversion out that you can google and see all the steps.
Old September 26, 2010, 11:50 AM   #13
OnTheFly

Swiss Vetterli Ammo

Thanks for the information Burrhead.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old September 27, 2010, 08:06 AM   #14
Esteban32696

Beautiful rifle !!!
Old September 25, 2014, 02:06 PM   #15
uhjohnson

I can't find parashooter's conversion anywhere, I should have printed it years ago

Thanks
Old September 25, 2014, 02:36 PM   #16
zfk55

You don't need Parashooters conversion. It's far from rocket science. My son manufactures the Teflon firing pin carrier and you can convert a RCBS .308 decapping pin for the firing pin.
8MM Lebel is a boxer brass that is easily cut and fireformed to make the perfect cases.

My Son's Vetterli will do 2.5" at 100 yards in 10 round groups.

Note the inside shoulder radius on the decapping pin. It will need to be filed flat so that there is no shoulder hitting the firing pin carrier on the inside.

His original CNC pattern

The finished product.

The hole drilled.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old September 25, 2014, 02:39 PM   #17
zfk55

My Son's prize Vetterli, and it is converted.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old September 25, 2014, 02:42 PM   #18
zfk55

By the way, OTF. Beautiful rifle and fantastic wood!

Old September 25, 2014, 03:48 PM   #19
OnTheFly

Thank you. I am quite proud of it. I still have not done the conversion. Been too busy improving my pistol skills and reloading lots of rounds.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old September 25, 2014, 04:01 PM   #20
kilimanjaro

Vetterli's are a hoot to shoot, no doubt about it.

You can get centerfire ammo for these at Buffalo Arms in Idaho. A bit pricey, but then you have the brass.
Old September 27, 2014, 07:31 AM   #21
uhjohnson

Nice conversion and rifle ZFK55, as you said "My son manufactures the Teflon firing pin*(carrier)" does he sell the carrier. I started the conversion a few years back and only got as far as drilling the bolt and it is .085, this should not be a problem.
Old September 27, 2014, 10:02 AM   #22
zfk55

Yes, he does, but it's not a part of the SP line. He makes them on the shop CNC and sells them for $5 each. Swiss Products does not sell to the public at all, just through our distributors.
Vetterli firing pin carrier info is here.......... http://theswissriflesdotcommessagebo...s#.VCbRBFJ0zX4

Pay attention to the parts in red. Even though St.Marie graphics is the parent company of SP and Makin Tracks Sound Studio, they're ll seoperate and cannot transfer funds or any of them pay the other. This is Latigo's thing, and there's not much money in it. It's more of a labor of love for Swiss rifles shooters.