The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 3, 2009, 10:59 AM   #26
Deaf Smith

If I have a medical emergency, I'll pass the gun to whoever shows up. Cop, EMT, etc... Hey... this is TEXAS. Most of those EMTs know all about guns.

No sweat.

It won't embarrass me in the slightest. I'll just take the IWB off and give them the gun and holster. Same if there is a LEO there, or guard.

In fact, I've thought about the guards at the hospitals. Just say you need a guard there and when they come, tell them you are a CHL holder and here is my heat.

Now if I was in the east coast or California..... way different matter, but here in Texas, I'm not real worried.
Old October 3, 2009, 12:05 PM   #27
CWO4USCGRET

In an officer

down situation one of the first things to do is to secure the officer's weapon - if he comes to he may think you are trying to hurt him...

I've been admitted to the hospital from the ER - told the nurse to have security come to the exam room - explained I was carrying a firearm; and had them lock it in the safe.

I think if you are packing you should make sure you let someone know if you got injured or incapacitated...
Old October 3, 2009, 12:29 PM   #28
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
In an officer
down situation one of the first things to do is to secure the officer's weapon
From a medical standpoint, this may be 100% wrong. From a tactical standpoint, it may be 100% wrong.
Old October 3, 2009, 04:36 PM   #29
CWO4USCGRET

I disagree

from an officer safety issue it makes excellent sense. If the officer comes to and sees a stranger trying to help he may think he is still in danger and instinctively reach for his service weapon...it was one of the scenarios that we practiced, with simunition, at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. Good enough for 20+ Federal LE Agencies its good enough for me to remember and file away.
Old October 3, 2009, 05:24 PM   #30
armsmaster270

I would hold off and allow another officer to disarm him. JMO
Old October 3, 2009, 09:59 PM   #31
CWO4USCGRET

I am...

I am.
Old October 3, 2009, 11:18 PM   #32
cschmelz

I'm an ER doc in Washington State. We have, an occasion, had the paramedics bring a CPL holder into the ER (most often after a motor vehicle collision on a backboard). When they arrive in the ER they informed the nurse/registration person they had a legal firearm they would like to secure. Our security then asks the CPL holder to clear the weapon if they are able (they aren't all firearm trained) and they lock the firearm in the hospital safe to be returned on discharge.

However, we aren't in Seattle, we are in the eastern part of the state that is more pro-gun rights and CPL than the 'wet' side of the mountains. Even when I was in residency in a VERY left leaning city we had no issues dealing with legal firearms (obviously the patient needs to announce it BEFORE I find it if they are conscious or I'm gonna consider you a gangbanger/bad guy until proven otherwise however!)
Old October 6, 2009, 05:21 PM   #33
PancakeOfDoom

they never covered this in class, they really should.

i suppose if you're having a heart attack, and i respond to the scene, i'd prefer you told me. if you're unconscious, i'm taking it off of your person and out of reach and calling dispatch.

if the patient were conscious, i'd keep my wits about me and ask for it. sorry, but if you slip into an altered mental state and get combative beyond your reasoning and comprehension, i'd rather have to deal with fists, and not a handgun.

if i were on the other side i suppose i'd declare it as well, and expect to be disarmed if i were unconscious, hopefully by somebody that knows what they're doing.