The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 2, 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
M14MSgt

can't screw the nipples back in

dissassemled my 1851 Pietta today and unsrewed all the nipples for cleaning and now I cannot seem to get the last two to catch the threads. I don't want to force it and risk cross threading them..but try as I might, I cannot get them to thread using the nipple wrench. Any suggestions?
Old November 2, 2008, 05:48 AM   #2
mykeal

Sounds like you got some crud in the threads in the cylinder. If you don't have an M6x0.75 tap, take a .22 cal bronze brush and carefully clean them from the back of the cylinder towards the front. A bit of bp solvent on the brush should help. Then use the brush to clean the nipple threads as well.

If that doesn't help, take one of the nipples that did screw in and try to start it in the hole.

And be sure to use some anti-sieze on the threads.
Old November 2, 2008, 07:39 AM   #3
Arquebus

Rather than using the nipple wrench to start the nipple in the hole, just use your fingers to get it started. I think you'll get a better 'feel' for when the threads locate. Also, like Mykeal suggested, take one of the other nipples out & try it in one of the stubborn holes, that way you'll know if there's problem with the thread in the cylinder.

The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq. (William Thackeray).
Old November 2, 2008, 10:11 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

I put a short piece of clear plastic tubing on the nipples to start them. I have found it's not unusual to have a few sharp edges on threaded holes on the Italian pistols making them difficult to start the fastener or in this case nipple. A quality tap and die set is very nice to have, along with a thread pitch tool. I well use a hand held drill bit just larger than the fastener hole to de-burr it.
Old November 2, 2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Pahoo

First off, have to agree with mykeal's suggestion to revisit these threads. Whenever I work with these, there is always a concern about cross- threading. For that reason, I pay close attention to these areas and If I can't start, by just using my fingers, I back off. I brush and then use air directed at the threads. I also use a product called Electric Motor cleaner, comes in a spray can and has a strong spray. It evaporated very quickly and will not leave any residue. At my final install, I coat the threads with copper based anti-seiz, taking care to leave the vents clear. You will see additional benefits to this anti-seiz when you later reclean.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 2, 2008, 06:50 PM   #6
M14MSgt

tried threading nipples that were already screwed into other places in the cylinder. Didn't work. used a brass brush w/some bp solvent and scrubbed the threads real good, but didn't have any effect. i am left with two nipples i can't screw back in all the way. not sure what to do. should i send it to a gunsmith?
Old November 3, 2008, 06:04 AM   #7
mykeal

Ok, you need to chase those threads, the female ones in the cylinder. You either need to purchase a tap at the local hardware or take it to a gunsmith. Should not be expensive either way, maybe about $20?
Old November 3, 2008, 07:06 AM   #8
sundance44s

Put a little anti seize on a q tip and turn it in the nipple holes ..it will make reinstalling the nipples much easyer . I also use the q tips for cleaning the holes also ...works good ..to get the crud out of the threads .
Old November 3, 2008, 03:20 PM   #9
M14MSgt

will try the anti-sieze first...then the gunsmith.