The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 9, 2007, 03:57 PM   #26
jabotinsky

Well, Yee-Ha! You just shot a drunk neighbor stumbling into the wrong house, or your teenager returning late, or a sleepwalker, or...

Yee-ha! Who's the criminal?
Old November 9, 2007, 08:33 PM   #27
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
You don't know the mentality of a burglar. You don't know if he is armed. All you know is that he is a criminal. In your home.
"All you know is that he is a criminal". Yup, solid ground to take his life.
I think some of you people need counseling, and should only have sling-shots!
Old November 9, 2007, 09:54 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
And yes it would be legal. See below:
Nobody's debating that point.

But you don't shoot someone just because it's legal. You shoot someone when you believe there's no other reasonable option.

The law you quoted makes this clear: "...he or she may use a degree of force which he or she reasonably believes to be necessary for the purpose."

It's also a mistake to confuse deadly force self-defense with the right to kill. Self-defense is about stopping or preventing injury or death, it's not about the law giving a you the right to kill someone.
Old November 10, 2007, 04:26 AM   #29
iiwas

I think we can all assume that what ever happens shooting-wise in your house is your responsibility and everyone has the inherent right to protect themselves and their families. But before we pass judgement one way or another we should have a better understanding of the situation. were there guns stored in the house when they left? If so then wouldnt it be a given to assume the bad guy was armed? I realize that just because this guy happened to be in the house and he might not have been the only one to break in that it doesnt mean he took a gun but is that a chance you would be willing to take? dont get me wrong, I think the homeowner did the right thing, and i would like to think that i would have shown the restraint not to shoot, but i guess im undecided. how many of us have shot someone or even at someone in their life? I know a lot of us are current and/or former Law Enforcement and Military but the feelings and the memory of an accidental or needless shooting can be a horrific thing. just my opinion, but if you dont need to kill to preserve life, limb and eyesight, then use less-than letal if available (like the threat of force) and some common sense.
Old December 8, 2007, 04:51 PM   #30
BAGTIC

Quote:
You are in the green. Shoot to kill.

Quote:
I agree with "ActivShootr" why not just shoot the guy?

Quote:
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Just shoot him.

Ever wonder why so many non-gun owners hold shooters in such low regard?

"We have met the enemy and it is us". Pogo
Old December 8, 2007, 05:16 PM   #31
kgpcr

Again alot of tough guys who cant wait to pull the trigger. Thats a LAST option. If shooting some one is not for protecting your life or that of another then you should not be allowed to carry a gun. No glory in killing another human being. Thats what seperates us from the criminals and gang bangers. Killing is no big deal for them. It does to me. Having been there i would have not a problem shooting some one who gave me no other option.
Smith M&P 40
Old December 8, 2007, 11:48 PM   #32
elkaholic

Quote;

Almost anything you say on the internet is public and saved, and saying something stupid isn't all that smart.

Yogi, is that you?

All kidding aside, some of you people scare me. It appears that the homeowner did not fear for their lives and used the appropriate level of self defense to contain the situation. If someone breaks into my home I too would like to think that I could show the restraint to use the necessary amount of self defense/force to contain the situation, and hopefully not have to kill anyone. Of course, if they are armed, or multiples, chances are going up that I will shoot you, and not in the leg.
Old December 9, 2007, 12:24 AM   #33
animal

Homeowner did the right thing and the burglar should be thankful to him for his life.

Cool Story, now .....

FESS UP ... Did the story make any of you Yankees or California-types jealous of the deep south ?
Old January 27, 2008, 11:28 PM   #34
fawcettlee

Hell no. I wasn't jealous. I might live in a gun-challenged state but Maryland is still home. Warts and all.
Old January 28, 2008, 11:48 AM   #35
Perldog007

I am jealous that the laws in some parts of the South tend to be more favorable to the law abiding person facing criminal attack.

I am disheartened that so many confuse should with could. I never had to shoot anybody. I have a good friend who did, and had to fire a good man that alcohol got after he did.

I know one of them would take it back if he could. The other one never talks about it.

I own guns because I like them. I enjoy target shooting and the occasional hunt.
Keep them handy around the house because bad things happen sometime. But wanting a chance to shoot somebody? Nope.

There can be a sense of helplessness that builds up until one feels anger and righteous indignation. Don't let these cathartic feelings trick you into thinking you actually want to shoot a "BG". The ability to control counterproductive impulses separate us from the guys in the orange jumpsuits.

Or not.

Shoot if you have to. Not because you can.

I want to be the guy known for mowing targets in IDPA or something, not mowng down badguys.
Old January 28, 2008, 12:15 PM   #36
FrontSight

I can imagine that the last thing you ever want is to have to shoot someone, because that means something really bad has happenned. Even if it's to prevent something bad from happenning; you or others still get left with bad memories. No way to avoid that.
Old January 28, 2008, 12:35 PM   #37
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
You are in the green. Shoot to kill.

Quote:
I agree with "ActivShootr" why not just shoot the guy?

Quote:
[color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]? Just shoot him.

Ever wonder why so many non-gun owners hold shooters in such low regard?

"We have met the enemy and it is us". Pogo
Bagtic summed it up better than I could've. For the life of me, I can't figure out how I missed this one, but.... better late than never.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread