The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 16, 2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Fullclip610

Type 38 question

Hey all. You guys probably know this answer. Just inherited my grandfathers arisaka type 38 carbine. It has the bolt but is missing the safety knob, firing pin, and firing pin spring. Going to buy these parts even if I have to buy a complete bolt. Will the regular type 38 bolt fit in the carbine?
I'm guessing yes. Anyone?
Old October 16, 2014, 10:33 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

The Gun Parts Corp (formerly Numrich Arms), is the best place to start looking for the parts you need.

moving this to Curio & Relic forum.
Old October 16, 2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Mk VII

I will come out on a limb and say, yes, no reason why the rifle bolt should not fit with the usual caveats about headspace. Better to fit the parts to the existing bolt. It was easy to remove these parts from the Arisaka bolt - just a quick twist.
Old October 16, 2014, 04:16 PM   #4
tahunua001

if I recall correctly, many of the type 38 carbines are actually converted 38 longs so yes, bolts from 38 longs will work in carbines. the 38s and 44s use the same bolts.
Old October 16, 2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Fullclip610

Thanks for the replies. I checked numrich. They were out of the firing pin. eBay has those parts occasionally so I've been checking there. Looks like it will run me about $80-100 for all 3 parts. About headspace, on other sites they say the headspace should be fine, something about loose tolerances. I wouldn't even know how to go about checking that. Honestly I probably won't fire it more than 1 outing, if that. Ammo seems kind of a pita. I just think its a lot cooler to have a working piece of history rather than something that doesn't work.
Old October 16, 2014, 07:15 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, but the "loose tolerances in Jap rifles" is nonsense. The Type 38 was always made in peacetime and is as well made as any Mauser or Springfield. Tolerances were not "loose" and correct headspace is necessary. I agree that replacing the bolt parts would be better than replacing the bolt since that way headspace will not be a problem.

Jim
Old October 16, 2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Gunplummer

Check the number on the bolt. It probably does not match anyway. You may need a little fine fitting with new parts. There were quite a few different style safes and F/pins. T-38's were more of a "Hand fit" deal than the T-99. You should be fine with new parts.
Old October 16, 2014, 07:35 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

"There were quite a few different style safes and F/pins."

Maybe I am confused but I don't recall any different styles of safety or any significant variations in firing pins. I wonder if there are pics of the different safeties.

Jim
Old October 16, 2014, 08:35 PM   #9
tangolima

I own a 38 and I like it a lot. A few things that may help you along.

1. If you want to shoot the gun, you'd better hand load, or it will cost you. If you hand load, headspace is non issue. You can always size the brass to fit your chamber.

2. I got all my parts from eBay. Just wait and you will see reasonable prices. there are other sources for parts. PM me if you want. I can't remember at the moment.

3. The barrel has polygonal rifling and they tend to have over sized bore. Mine needs 0.268" carcano bullets, or it will key hole.

4. They tend to shoot high, so aim low, unless you want to raise the front sight like I did.

5. When done right, the rifle can be wicked accurate with very decent recoil.
-TL
Old October 16, 2014, 09:35 PM   #10
Fullclip610

I'm pretty sure they should match unless the japs themselves had unmatched numbers. did they do that? I'm not saying he got a kill and picked it up right from the battlefield but I know he brought it home in parts from the South Pacific. I dont have a clue why he didnt include firing pin, etc but maybe he took them out so my mischievous dad didn't mess with it. It's been hanging in my grandmothers basement for 40+ years. Still Has the dust cover, emporer's symbol. I think they have 2 dif types of safeties I saw on part websites. Large tang and something else. Thanks for the replies, will keep a lookout on eBay. Idk how they get all this random parts for these to sell. Shouldnt they still be on the rifle still.
Old October 16, 2014, 10:32 PM   #11
tahunua001

Quote:
Maybe I am confused but I don't recall any different styles of safety or any significant variations in firing pins. I wonder if there are pics of the different safeties.
I know a few SLIGHT variations with the safety knobs. some have a small indent cut into them and others have a small prong but functionally they are identical and I know of no difference in the firing pins as well... I would like to see some documentation. I have actually swapped the bolts on my T44 and T99 of curiosity. I would never try to fire them but they did fit either rifle almost as well as the one it was spaced to.
Old October 17, 2014, 12:58 PM   #12
Gunplummer

Small parts came from small manufacturers all over Japan and other countries. I have seen/owned at least 3 different styles of safeties for the 6.5. Some do not interchange too well without a little fitting. This may have more to do with the machining on the back of the bolt than the safety knob. There are at least two different style F/pins too. The F/pin and safety knobs will interchange between the 6.5 and the 7.7, but * NOT * the bolts, if that helps you find the stuff easier. Might be a good idea for you to make sure you have the correct bolt in it. I bought more than one at a flea market with the wrong bolt in it. The location of the locking lugs and blow hole are different between the two. There. Documented. Not rumor, I owned them. I also made quite a few in my day ( F/pins, safeties, and bolts) * The post about loose tolerance 6.5's : I worked on/owned quite a few Type "I" 6.5's (Made during the war). The chamber tolerance on some of these guns was so tight that I had to force the bolt on some of the original Japanese ammo. Tolerance on military weapons varied from every country. That is why you will see a "First quality" stamp on some 6.5's and not others. Overall, the Arisaka was a well made and designed rifle. If you have trouble with bullets keyholing, try a 160 grain bullet. I still hunt with one I cut to 6.5x55. It keyholed at 50 yards until I figured out that the real early 6.5's had a different twist rate.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:05 PM   #13
Gunplummer

Small parts came from small manufacturers all over Japan and other countries. I have seen/owned at least 3 different styles of safeties for the 6.5. Some do not interchange too well without a little fitting. This may have more to do with the machining on the back of the bolt than the safety knob. There are at least two different style F/pins too. The F/pin and safety knobs will interchange between the 6.5 and the 7.7, but * NOT * the bolts, if that helps you find the stuff easier. Might be a good idea for you to make sure you have the correct bolt in it. I bought more than one at a flea market with the wrong bolt in it. The location of the locking lugs and blow hole are different between the two. There. Documented. Not rumor, I owned them. I also made quite a few in my day ( F/pins, safeties, and bolts) * The post about loose tolerance 6.5's : I worked on/owned quite a few Type "I" 6.5's (Made during the war). The chamber tolerance on some of these guns was so tight that I had to force the bolt on some of the original Japanese ammo. Tolerance on military weapons varied from every country. That is why you will see a "First quality" stamp on some 6.5's and not others. Overall, the Arisaka was a well made and designed rifle. If you have trouble with bullets keyholing, try a 160 grain bullet. I still hunt with one I cut to 6.5x55. It keyholed at 50 yards until I figured out that the real early 6.5's had a different twist rate. Yes, at times the Japanese used mismatched numbers. Sometimes the guns were restamped sometimes not. Look under the bolt handle where it drops down on the receiver and there should be a partial serial number. The F/pins and safeties were usually marked too, but not always.
Old October 17, 2014, 01:08 PM   #14
F. Guffey

Pictures are so unappreciated I do not bother, I have 4 bolts that have safeties with two of them being similar.

F. Guffey
Old October 17, 2014, 08:00 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

Somehow I would not be surprised that Type I's are different from Type 38's since the Type I was made in Italy and uses a slightly modified Carcano action that has nothing at all in common with the Arisaka design.

Jim
Old October 18, 2014, 05:15 PM   #16
Gunplummer

Firing the same round is kind of a common.
Old October 18, 2014, 06:16 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

They also have stocks, barrels, bolts, and triggers, so I was in error in saying they have nothing in common.

Jim