The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 1, 2013, 07:09 PM   #1
taylorce1

Some new rifles!

I spent the last couple of days putting the finishing touches on some rifles I've been putting together.

First one is a M700 Classic .300 Savage that I traded for, this will probably be my daughters elk rifle when she is able to tolerate the recoil. All I did was put the old Burris FF on top of it. Looks like I need to get new rings as the ones that came with it are a little tall.

This one is an old stagger feed .243 that is finding new life as a .250 Savage. 24" Shilen barrel, and 2-7X32 Vortex Viper, Sharp Shooter bolt handle, and Leupold weaver style bases and rings, tuned older three screw trigger, B&C Carbelite stock, and weighs in at 8lbs 4oz.

Not a new rifle but one I put on a diet.

M70 Extreme Weather in .270 Win weighed 9lbs 8oz with the old scope Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44, stock, sling, and 5 rounds down the magazine.

New weight with McMillan FWT stock Edge technology, Talley mounts, and 3.5-10X40 VX3 with CDS a svelte 7lbs 13oz.

Last edited by taylorce1; October 1, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Corrections Cop

Nice work!
Old October 1, 2013, 08:24 PM   #3
hammie

I like them all but especially the .250 savage. I really like the looks of the bolt handle. I found sharpshootersupply.com and discovered a lot of savage accessories. Thanks for the tip.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammie
I like them all but especially the .250 savage. I really like the looks of the bolt handle. I found sharpshootersupply.com and discovered a lot of savage accessories. Thanks for the tip.
I like the knurled Stockade Gunstocks bolt handle a little better. I'd have liked to replace the recoil lug as well, but I didn't want to pay to have such a small part coated since they mainly come in SS, and was afraid black paint would eventually flake off.

Check out Nortland Shooter Supply as well, that is where I got the tuned three screw trigger. It is basically the same thing as the Timney and the Rifle Basix Savage 1 but for half the price, but I don't know if Jim is still selling them. The best drop in $100 trigger is the Competition trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply as well. It doesn't quite have the adjustment range of the Rifle Basix Savage 2 trigger but it cost a lot less.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:58 PM   #5
lefteye

Nice collection! I especially like the 700 Classic and agree it could use lower rings. I'd also suggest tightening the rings very slowly with equal rotations of the allen screws on each side so the gap between the upper and lower rings are the same on both sides and on both the front and rear rings.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:02 PM   #6
taylorce1

Didn't notice the rings, back is probably still a little loose. I was in a hurry to get some pictures.
Old October 2, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

as always... you have very good taste in rifles... I'm partial to those older wood stocked 700's ( I think I have 5-6 myself ) but there is always a place for the all weather type rifle, & I also have several myself... I particularly like the looks of that 250 Savage...
Old October 2, 2013, 08:46 PM   #8
taylorce1

Thanks MWM, I always enjoy your rifle as well.
Old October 2, 2013, 08:55 PM   #9
steveNChunter

All nice rifles but the 700 in .300 savage is my fave. The rifle, cartridge, and scope all have great nostalgic quality
Old October 5, 2013, 08:11 AM   #10
hooligan1

You sure have a nice collection, you know I like the .250, but that 700 is eye candy to all us old .300 Savage lovers...
Old October 6, 2013, 08:40 PM   #11
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan1
You sure have a nice collection, you know I like the .250, but that 700 is eye candy to all us old .300 Savage lovers...
I'm a little surprised you like the .300 the best, I figured the Savage would be top since you like it an the Vortex scope. Wth the .270 coming in second since that is one of your favorite cartridges. I never knew you had a thing for the .300 Savage.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:01 PM   #12
taylorce1

The EW is still a SUB MOA rifle with some loads, however I was surprised to find out how slow it shoots. I put close to 100 rounds down range yesterday between five rifles, I waited until last to work with this rifle. Probably should have shot this one first, shoulder was getting pretty sore in the end. I was only able to really pull off four shot groups out of 11 groups shot that I was happy with.

The factory Federal were shots 2,3, and 4 after bore sighting my rifle. That VX3 scope has very accurate adjustments. I then moved on to my hand loads.
Old November 14, 2013, 05:22 PM   #13
hooligan1

Man thats pretty sweet groupins, have you decided on the one load that beats the rest? if so, what one?
Old November 14, 2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Been there

It is not a rifle I need, but the .250 Savage just does it for me!