The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 2, 2001, 09:27 AM   #1
PJR

What are the rules/practices where you shoot regarding hulls. At some clubs, the rule is that the instant the empty shell hits the ground it is the property of the club. At some clubs recently I've noted signs saying "Please pick up your hulls." Hull picking can certainly slow down a round and I've even seen trap shooters go forward of the line to pick hulls before moving to the next station while the rest of us just stood waiting.

I've seen shooters who were using factory target be asked by shooters or scorers if they would give them their hulls. One pesky trap boy was very aggressive in finding/begging factory hulls and then selling them until club management stepped in. Conversely, some guys tip the trap kids with hulls and encourage them to sell to other shooters.

One shooter I know loads AA shells until they are almost in shreds and can be found face first in the garbage bin at most shoots looking for hulls that meet his standards. When I load AA hulls I use them only 4 or 5 times and now give this guy my used hulls when I'm done with them. He's happy to get them. (I've never understood this guy because he will shoot reclaimed wads, homemade lead of dubious origin and shoots a high-grade Perazzi.)

What's the practice where you shoot?

Paul
Old March 2, 2001, 11:54 AM   #2
K80Geoff

Hulls!

The practice varies at different clubs and even different games. One club is very strict on the Trap & Skeet fields about not picking up hulls. But on the sporting Clays course they require you to clean up after you shoot!

It is best to find out before you shoot, and if the club doesn't allow hull diving don't do it.

Frankly these days I only dive for 28 ga hulls

Geoff Ross
Old March 2, 2001, 02:58 PM   #3
Shok

The one club I shot at we let them lay till the round is done then everyone picks them up.

I never load hulls with cracks or holes when I load for trap. I've reloaded some gray AA 10 times and some 2 times before they fail. When they do start to crack I load them with #4 or #5 and use them for upland game.

Shok
Old March 3, 2001, 06:49 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most of the folks I shoot with at AGC never let a case hit the ground. After each round, those that do are gathered up, but nobody seems concerned about whose hulls they are.

The other club I go to doesn't seem to care. I've shot there with plenty of hulls littering the ground.
Old March 3, 2001, 08:29 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Hull etiquette ... I thought someone had a date with a speed boat.
Old March 3, 2001, 08:57 AM   #6
Kharn

At the DNR range i shoot at, the trap field is COVERED in hulls. You cant even step without stepping on hulls on like half the field. The other half is solid pigeon peices.
It makes it a REAL mess to try and recover your good hulls from all the identical ones that have been sitting on the ground for the last year.

Kharn
Old March 3, 2001, 02:09 PM   #7
blooch

in my experience it is improper to pick up hulls as you shoot a round, only between rounds and never during a match.