The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 28, 2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Pops1085

How often is field stripping actually required?

I'm a fairly new gun owner but have been shooting for quite a while. Anyways the first thing I did when I bought my first shotgun was figure out how to field strip it and clean it. I bought a collapsing stock with a pistol grip just for fun but I was going to take it back (the stock) just because with it on I can't field strip the shotgun without first removing the stock because it's a mossberg and to dissassemble you first have to remove the trigger assembly. Anyways it got me wondering abou how often I should really be completely cleaning my guns. I kind of enjoy it and usually do it after every time I use it but I'm wondering if I'm over doing it. Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Last edited by Pops1085; February 28, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:19 PM   #2
wooly booger

how many rounds are you running through it before you clean? What type of ammo?

There is not a lot of parts to clean on a shotgun. I shot sporting clays and skeet for years, averaging at least 200 targets a week, usually more. Most of this shooting was with a Remington 11-87 Auto and a Browning GTi. The auto would become finicky after about 100 targets. I would never drop thebolt and trigger group though. Pull the barrel, check for plastic buildup at the choke or forcing cone. Get a bottle of gumout or carb cleaner and hose it down and shake it out. Do the same for the receiver and bolt area.

If you have a whole lot of plastic build-up cut the t handle off a cleaning rod, chuch the rod in a corless drill and screw on a brass or ss brush soaked in your favorite solvent. Mine used to be xylene or acetone ( don't get this on a wood fore end tough.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Pops1085

It's just a mossberg 500 but to remove the bolt or the slide you first pull out the trigger group.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:49 PM   #4
wooly booger

here again, why do you want to? I have probably shot an 11-87 over 10,000 times without pulling the bolt, or trigger group. When you refer to slide, are you referring to the foreend or action bars?

The luxury of a mossberg 500 or most pump shotguns unlike an AR is that they actually run better dirty than clean.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Are you asking how often we do for guns in general or shotguns only?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 28, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Pops1085

No for the most part I'm talking about all of my guns in general. I only mention the shotgun As it is my latest purchase
Old February 28, 2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Quadpod88

I like to clean my guns every time I take them shooting and roughly once a month if I haven't shot a few in a while. But really, is the stock that bothersome that you'll take it back?
Old February 28, 2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Puddle

In general, if I shoot it, I clean it. To me, disassembling, cleaning and reassembling my firearms is soothing and enjoyable. But I also enjoy mowing my lawn, which some people think is crazy.

Joking aside, some firearms require more frequent cleaning than others. I probably don't have to clean my AKs or Saiga 12 after firing a few rounds. Same with my Sig P220. My ARs on the other hand... probably a good idea to clean/lube after a range session.
Old February 28, 2013, 07:51 PM   #9
wooly booger

I clean guns when they need cleaning.

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; March 1, 2013 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Noise deleted
Old February 28, 2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Mike38

Referring to your Mossberg 500, I bought one back about 20 years ago and have never completely torn it down. Remove the barrel, clean the bore, wipe the big chunks out of the action with a q-tip dipped in Hoppes, and put it away until next time. Never have had a problem with it.

Semi auto target pistols or rifles used at a range. I give them a complete tear down and good cleaning only when they start to malfunction. Otherwise, I clean as above.

Home defense firearms. I clean them after each use. One shot or 100, they are kept very clean.

When (if) Illinois gets CCW, I’ll clean that weekly, shot or not it will be cleaned and extensively checked over. I plan to carry a S&W J Frame in .38 Special so it will be easy to keep clean.