The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2000, 10:28 PM   #1
BigPig

Guys,

I did a search for this, and it was not very helpful.

I have 1,200 pieces (always adding to that number) of PMC .223 brass that I need to process, and I want a painless way to swage the primer pockets.

I have the RCBS primer pocket swager combo, but to be quite honest it is somewhat of a pain in the a** to use. I have done lots of 100 cases using it, and it takes forever, plus ends up leaving me with a pissed off feeling.

So basically is the Dillon WORTH the $80? I use A LOT of PMC ammo because its cheap and my buddies buy when they shoot my AR. The cases seem to hold up well, and I haven't broken any decapping pins on them either.

Anyway, I'd appreciate your input. I know about Dillon quailty, but I wanna know if this is worth my money. Thanks.
Old December 15, 2000, 07:32 AM   #2
Intel6

If you need to swage primer pockets, the Dillon is the way to go. I also used to use the RCBS and found it to be a pain in the ass. The Dillon swager is smooth and requires little effort to swage the pocket because it works on a camming action. I know you can chuck a chamfer tool in a drill and go to town but I would rather reshape the metal than remove it.
Old December 15, 2000, 09:59 AM   #3
Steve Smith

I am using a C-H Tool and Die swager that goes into a single stage press. I think it's easier than the Dillon because of the less-wild arm movements.
Old December 15, 2000, 12:14 PM   #4
Bill Hebert

I recommend it highly. I previously used the Lee tool and ream military crimps. After getting the Dillon, the problem became getting more military brass. It's actually fun to use. Good luck.
Old December 15, 2000, 05:18 PM   #5
slickpuppy

Hey Piglet!
Go for the Dillon. I have the RCBS tool and it is a pain. Also, I went the Forster trimmer attachment route. Also a pain.

The Dillon works like a champ. If you plan on using crimped primer brass do yourself a favor and get the Dillon.