The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2013, 09:52 PM   #1
Valerko

Rifle primers for pistol?

Runnig out of pistol primers. But still have some small rifle and large rifle primers.
Did some testing today. On .45 ACP loaded 5 rounds with 4.7 unique and used cci large rifle primers and 5 rounds using CCI large rifle primers.
Worked like a charm. Couldn't really tell the difference.
Off to small pistol
Used CCI no41 and 4g of unique and had some issues only fires 2 out of 5 rounds. 3 remaining ones , firing pin wouldn't ignite the primer.
Used CCI 400 primers and wolf rifle primers with same charge and it worked beautifully.
Until I can get my hands on some pistol primers , I guess I'll use what ever rifle primers I got left.
Btw : anybody has some leads n some primers ? Some LGS around here have them , but for prices they are charging , I'd rather see them go out of bussines then support them.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Vance

I have S-B primers that say pistol/rifle on the box These I bought as small pistol primers.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:06 PM   #3
zxcvbob

That works with small rifle/pistol primers (I didn't say it was a good idea.) Large rifle primers should be too tall to use in pistol ctgs -- they will fit but you'll have high primers.
Old May 13, 2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Valerko

They don't look like they are too tall. Seated they look no different then large pistol primers.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Hunter Customs

I can't speak with any first hand experience about using large rifle primers but the racegun guys shooting hot-rod 38 supers have been using small rifle primers for years.

I've been told the only difference is the hardness of the primer cup.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 14, 2013, 09:10 AM   #6
kostyanj

Re: Rifle primers for pistol?

I gotta try this with some Remington large rifle primers in my 1911. I'm in the same boat as you, running out of pistol primers.
Old May 14, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
jcwit

Quote:
They don't look like they are too tall. Seated they look no different then large pistol primers.
All primers, small pistol, small rifle, large pistol, and large rifle should be seat 2/3 thousands below flush. And you can tell this by just looking at the primer?

Small pistol and small rifle are the same height, and small rifle can be used instead of small pistol as long as you have no issues with light hammer/firing pin fall.

Large pistol and shorter than large Rifle, if large rifle is used in a handgun case made for large pistol primers it possible for slam fires, which are never good.

But in the end, your gun, your hands, your body, as long as the other shooters are somewhat in the distance.
Old May 14, 2013, 06:01 PM   #8
zxcvbob

I've seen pics of [allegedly] large rifle primers and large pistol primers side-by-side that were the same height. They are not supposed to be the same, but if you're a primer manufacturer it would sure simplify things if all the cups were the same. Just sayin'
Old May 14, 2013, 09:55 PM   #9
jcwit

Quote:
I've seen pics of [allegedly] large rifle primers and large pistol primers side-by-side that were the same height. They are not supposed to be the same, but if you're a primer manufacturer it would sure simplify things if all the cups were the same. Just sayin'
So take your handi dandi calibers and measure the height of the primers. Then do the same with the depth of the primer pockets. Just sayin'
Old May 15, 2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Valerko

According to my handy dandy calipers , there's few thousands difference between CCI large pistol and Wolf large pistol already.
Wolf large pistols are actually about .002 bigger then CCI large rifle.
There's also slight difference (.001+) primer to primer ( in all of them )
Bottom line , loaded bunch of with small rifle primers and will give it an more extensive testing.
Large rifle primers are next.
Old May 15, 2013, 06:23 PM   #11
BigD_in_FL

Why not just buy the right stuff - and if you have to mail order and wait a few weeks, so what?
Old May 15, 2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Vance

The problem already stated is that no one has any to sell and he wants to load and go shoot.
Old May 15, 2013, 08:17 PM   #13
dmazur

On the Winchester LR primers I inspected, the anvil appears to be slightly higher than in LP primers.

Everything I've read says to not substitute LR for LP, because of this difference.

You may be able to force the LR to the same depth, but what did you just do to the anvil? And how sensitive is the primer at this point?

Shortages are not an excuse, IMO.
Old May 15, 2013, 10:00 PM   #14
jcwit

Vance & dmazur hit the nail on the head. And as said earlier

Quote:
But in the end, your gun, your hands, your body, as long as the other shooters are somewhat in the distance.
Old May 16, 2013, 03:05 AM   #15
ronz

I did a unscientific test using rubber bullets and just going by how loud small primers were
using CCI mag pistol and tula small rifle
there was a very noticeable difference between them more than I thought there would have been
so keep in mind that the small rifle are probably quite a bit hotter than the small pistol mag are
a lgs did get some sp in but limited you to 300 so wont be long before I will have to load with rifle primers if I want to shoot a pistol
Old May 16, 2013, 09:14 AM   #16
hbhobby

I did the same thing for the same reason and it worked flawlessly for all 258 rnds i made
Old May 16, 2013, 10:51 AM   #17
jcwit

Quote:
I did the same thing for the same reason and it worked flawlessly for all 258 rnds i made
And how bout the 259 round?

It only takes 1 time.

Ever have a slam fire with a partially chambered round?

If so, I bet you wouldn't want to do it again. But then I don't know you.
Old May 16, 2013, 01:47 PM   #18
snuffy

JC, he must be one of those indestructible teenagers! Rules, don't need no @#*! rules. BAM! ow-ow-OW- OUCH, damn I'm bleeding here call 911!

Follow the rules or suffer the consequences! Yes, small rifle primers in 9mm, 40 and others can be used. The sr's should be treated like small pistol MAGNUM primers. The #41 SR primers are the harder-thicker military primers made to prevent slam fires in AR rifles,(because of the floating firing pin). No surprise they didn't work! Especially if your pistol is a striker fired weapon.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 18, 2013, 05:36 PM   #19
cookie5

I have used small rifle primers in pistol and revolvers over the years on many occasions with out and problem though I use full power springs. BUT!!! the CCI military primers [#41 ?] are too hard in my experience.
Old May 18, 2013, 05:37 PM   #20
cookie5

I have used small rifle primers in pistol and revolvers over the years on many occasions with out and problem though I use full power springs. BUT!!! the CCI military primers [#41 ?] are too hard in my experience. Large rifle primers are a different height than pistol primers.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:22 PM   #21
Valerko

My scientific testing

http://youtu.be/au4znQ0-sk0