The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 16, 2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Polinese

New Savage 10 sr

So picked up the above rifle yesterday after having it on layaway for a while.

First time in my life I"ve had a really nice trigger and I'm already spoiled.

Anyways, mounted up my scope a SWFA 10x and after I got everything together i noticed I could hear a kind of rattle (sounded like a spring rattling around) in the turret area... i braced the rifle and moved the turrets around and they seemed to be tracking just fine but still the rattle kinda worries me thoughts?

Also I have a bunch of magtech 7.62x51 and i've noticed that it fits pretty tight in the chamber... i'm guessing its the ammo as none of my other ammo, a grab bag of 308/7.62 had trouble closing the bolt. Safe to fire it? Would be a shame since i have 250 of it.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Txhillbilly

I'd try some different ammo and see if you still have issues with the bolt being hard to close. You could have a headspace issue if other ammo acts the same way.
Have a local gunsmith check the headspace,or contact Savage to return it for warranty.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Polinese

It seems to be just the magtech ammo, the russian loads closed a little tighter than my Portugese surplus, or american eagle, have some other winchester and remington marked 7.62 nato that fit just fine.

The russian was tight, the magtech was really really tight, hopefully get out today to see how it fares.

As for the rattle issue, I did some more digging and found it's my rings not my scope (warne rings)