The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 19, 2012, 01:35 AM   #1
UncleGrumpy

Maths: M17 + Scope = BIG Problem

Hi,

In the late 60's my dad turned a M17 into a .243 which turned into a damn fine rifle. It was fitted back then with a scope mount and a 7x36mm Kahles. As his age is gaining on him, a new scope was decided to go on. He is sold on fitting a Bushnell ?-16x50mm

So now I find the problem. The mount maker is no longer. No modern twist turn rings fit the base. I was told that the existing mount would have been custom fitted and drilled because of something to do with removing the original rear sight. The existing screw holes do not line up with current mounts sold as M17 mounts.

So I have come to three possible answers,
1) weld up the existing screw holes and try to find and fit a new mount kit. 2) Make some form of bushing to lift the bridge up off the rifle, so the existing rings will be at the right height.
3) Give up!

What do I do?

Cheers
Old June 19, 2012, 07:23 AM   #2
Doyle

The existing screw holes can be filled without welding. In involves turning a screw into them and using a ball peen hammer to peen the screw metal into the receiver. The excess is then filed off and a touch of bluing applied. If done properly, it will take a serious magnifying glass to find where the hole was. I would advise doing that and then retapping for a modern scope base.
Old June 19, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
HiBC

There was more than one way to do it,but one practice was to shape the rear bridge to match a Remington,and drill and tap to take a Redfield Rem base.

There are a lot of old Redfield rings and bases squirreled away in old gun shops,etc.

Might be if you check into that you will get lucky.

What may be less trouble than welding/filling/redrilling the receiver would be to look at Weaver type base blank stock or modifying another
base a little bit.

I'd rather mess up and start over on the base.

Last edited by HiBC; June 19, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old June 19, 2012, 08:56 AM   #4
UncleGrumpy

Hi, After reading the two above answers, I thought of another possible option.

Would it be easier to find a new base similar in shape and attach it to the top of the existing base.

Do you think this would work?
Old June 19, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5
velocette

Sporterized '17 Enfields could use mounts made for the Remington model 30 rifle. The Rem m30 is and was a civilian model of the '17 Enfield. The rear sight "ears" were removed & the area rounded. That would be a good place to start. Brownells stocks the Weaver mounts, (#11). Depending upon how much the rear of the receiver has been modified / rounded, you may need to shim the front or the rear to gain proper scope leveling.
It took me several trys to get my '17 Enfield on paper.

Roger

Old June 19, 2012, 07:05 PM   #6
HiBC

Velocette gave you some good info,and even a Rem 700 one piece long action base may be just right,or easy to mod.Some of those only have 2 screws fwd and one rear.

Some folks would just get her done,but many would try to set up to some standard part when they can.

I do not think saddling base on top of base would be a good path,

If a piece Weaver rail will suit you,see if Farrell can help you.Call them.

I don't have a number or even know if they are still in business.You get to dig!
Old June 19, 2012, 10:43 PM   #7
langenc

This gentleman gives good info. Dont look to be a big problem. Welding==NO.