The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 5, 2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Clay

Today's 38 and 357 loads

I went to the range today with some new loads and have really experienced some of the "joy of loading" when you just get it right.

First, I'm beyond happy with my 38. I've been using my Grandfather's snub nose model 36 for a while now. I've always accepted that such a tiny barrel just won't be accurate. Well dang, my new favorite load has made this thing SOOOO much more accurate. 6 grains of Autocomp behind a zero JHP 125gr bullet. I usually shoot at 15 yards and normally I'm happy if I can get a grouping of a foot. Well, today I was managing groups of about an inch. I could have sworn my little snubby grew a few extra inches of barrel! I've been using HP-38 and also tried some AA No 2 but no more! I always shoot some hundred yard shots as well. Previously they'd be all over the place with this gun and I mean ALLLL over the place. Today I was getting within feet of the bowling pin. I'm a happy camper!

Second, I've always used H110 for all of my magnums: 357, 44 and 460. Just for the fun of it I loaded some up with HP-38 today, 8 grains. Well, color me surprised, but my 6" GP100 was nailing the bowling pin left and right at 100 yards, hole on hole at 15. (Same bullet as the 38) HELL YEAH! I've been loading it with 20gr of H110. I went back to back with the H110 loads vs the HP-38 and those with H110 were all over the place at 100 yards. It's fun making fire breathers, but making an accurate round is a lot more fun! No more H110 for the 357!

I haven't tried anything different than H110 for my 44, but at this point I don't think I need to. This (a Taurus believe it or not) is our most accurate revolver. 23.5gr behind a 240gr Nosler JHP. My son nailed a milk jug every single pull of the trigger at about 35 yards. I've experimented with different loadings of H110 and believe I've settled on 23.5.

I'm ordering up some Alliant 300MP next week, gonna try it with all the magnums, but mainly interested in trying to get the 460 to the point that the 44 is.

I love this reloading stuff. I don't think I've ever been this happy after returning from the range. Just wanted to share my elation!
Old March 5, 2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Nomadicone

Congrats, it sounds like you found great loads for both. I am always pleased when a short barrel shoots extremely well.
Old March 6, 2011, 12:46 AM   #3
Jim243

You may want to try some Alliant 2400 for your mags. First you will wake the dead with your loads and you WILL be supprised on their accuracy.

Jim