The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 14, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1
EdInk

Possibly Sneaking Out to Buy A Shotgun

I have really been wanting a Saiga 12 for awhile now. I don't have the money for one right now but have the new gun bug.....

So, I was THINKING about picking up a Mossberg 500 depending on how it feels when I shoulder it AND if I can work the pump smoothly.

Bud's has them for @ $265 delivered and I think/hope I could find it for close to that locally.

I wanted to know eveyone's opinion of these shotguns.

Do you think I would be satisfied with it, since it is a whole different animal than the Saiga? (Or should I just save and get what I really want to own?)

I would especially LOVE to hear from anyone with experience using both of them but even if you just have one, tell me some of the pros and cons.

-EdInk

As a back up plan, I may buy a little .22 pistol instead. So any suggestions on a nice and inexpensive plinker (thinking Ruger 22/45) would be appreciated too.
Old May 14, 2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Homer-Sm

You're talking apples and Lemon Trees comparing the 2. I own both and like them both for different reasons. The Saiga is a Zombie Killer plain and simple. Total fun and wreaks Havoc.

The Moss 500 is a basic utility shotgun that can be made to do all. Not exceptional, but will do all from HD, to Trap, hunting, to making that "rack" sound we all love from every shotgun scene in every movie we have ever seen.

If I was in your shoes, get the Mossberg if it feels right. If it doesn't shoulder the Rem 870. Either one of these 2 is mandatory in the "Gun Owners" handbook.

But if you want a "Zombie Killer" then get the Saiga.

But IMTHO if you're new to guns get the Ruger 22/45 first. You can shoot it all week long for about $15. Take your time, get your basics down, and then buy the pump. The Saiga is a 3rd option only because it's limited in uses, unless you have tons of money.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:46 PM   #3
the rifleer

The mossberg is a really good shotgun. I shoot trap and skeet with mine and i shoot just as well as the guys with the fancy smancy O/U. Im not saying i dont want one, but you can shoot well with out them.

The 500 is a sweet shooting shotgun that won't let out down. After a couple hundred rounds the action will be super smooth and super easy to pump. I say go for it. The 500 has more practical applications. With the siaga your going to pretty much be limited to HD and just screwing around on the range. The mossberg is going to be an acceptable hunting/clay shooting gun as well as an outstanding HD gun and range toy. plus there area ton of add ons for the 500.
Old May 14, 2010, 11:51 PM   #4
EdInk

Not at all new to guns. Just shotguns. I'm thinking I will probably tough it out and get the Saiga but I just really NEED something new in the collection.

The Mossberg seems popular and I'm just going to check it out. If I love it then I might get one. If it's just okay I'll probably pick up a little .22
plinker. I don't know maybe I just need to go fondle some stuff at the gun shop and settle on few magazines or holster.

I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Mossberg guys please chime in about your shotgun. Also, does Wally World sell the Mossberg 500? I know they have the Maverick, which is like an Econo version but I want the real deal. I don't like buying guns from them but if they have the best price so be it.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:01 AM   #5
noyes

You might try the Saiga Forum. I was at one time looking at a Saiga, but was not impressed with what i learned about them.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:43 AM   #6
EdInk

Yeah, I've heard mixed things about them. I'm an AK lover though and the idea of a magazine fed shotgun is just real cool. The Mossberg seems VERY well respected. Plus, it seems there are enough mods to were I can customize ANY feature I don't like about it.

Like I said, I'm new to shotguns. So, I appreciate the advice. What do you suggest 18" or 20" barrel (It'll be for HD and range play.) Also, what are choke tubes for (controlling the shot spread right?) does the 500 come with different ones. Which one should I use. Also, what's the difference between the 500 and 590. I'm getting kind of excited about it now. Thanks for answering all my newbie questions.

Who has the best price for one? My choices for stores are local shops, Bass Pro, Dick's and Wally World. I heard a rumor that the WalMart ones are made cheaper. Is that true?

I don't want to order online and wait. I'm very impatient.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Dr. Strangelove

I bought a couple of guns from a friend of a friend several years ago, just to help him out. They were a Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag and a Mossberg 500a, I promptly put them in the safe and forgot about them, oh just cheap guns, I'll trade them or whatever down the road.

Both have become some of the best guns that I own. The Savage is crazy accurate, and the Mossberg is well, I just can't say anything bad about it.

I really wanted a "better" shotgun, and I tried to not like the Mossberg, but it did everything I asked of it with no problems. It shoots clays, goes turkey hunting, goes camping, gets thrown in the back of the jeep, etc.

For all I tried not to like it, the Mossberg pump is a good entry level shotgun that won't break the bank and does it all well.

Pros:

Inexpensive - I don't care if it gets scratched, rained on, dropped in mud, whatever.

Safety is on the receiver - Much more natural to me than a cross-bolt safety.

Tons of add-ons - not my bag, but you can make it into a "tactical" shotgun if you want fairly cheaply.

Reliable - I've had no feed problems or failure to fire.

Cons:

It's not a "prestige" gun. It took me a while to get over this, but it does what I need it to do.

If you are looking for a good entry level shotgun, the Mossberg 500 fits the bill.
Old May 15, 2010, 01:12 AM   #8
EdInk

The more I read around here and other sites the more convinced I am that I am going to like it.

Again, anyone care to help with pricing these. What about some good HD loads or are most buckshot loads about the same.

Looks like I'll have a few "errands" to run tomorrow. Thinking hit Walmart first for price followed by Bass Pro to checkout the .22 pistols (still in the running). Lastly, I'll go to one or two of my regular gun shops to discuss it and get knowledgeable info with my regular salesmen (how bad is it that employees know me by name?) Then I'll make my purchase from whoever has the best price or close to it. (I would rather pay an extra FEW dollars to local business.

But I'm getting really "pumped" about the idea!

Also, I saw that some (older) models had one guide rod or something? Is this something easily seen or is internal. Truth to walmart rumor? Please help guys. If I don't get all my questions answered here, I will be forced to interact with actual people in the real world!

The Biggest issue is going to be price.
Keep responding please! And I'll check in tomorrow morning with a progress report.

Got to love new gun hysteria.
Old May 15, 2010, 02:23 AM   #9
Dr. Strangelove

Quote:
Also, I saw that some (older) models had one guide rod or something? Is this something easily seen or is internal. Truth to walmart rumor? Please help guys. If I don't get all my questions answered here, I will be forced to interact with actual people in the real world
The guide rods are external and are two thin rectangular pieces of metal extending from the receiver to the "pump" under the magazine tube. Very easy to see.

If you are referring to the persistent internet rumor that Wal-mart sells "inferior" guns, it's not true. Wal-mart buys from the same distributors that your local shops do. They do tend to stock only the lowest grade of stock, finish, and sight options, but can order anything that you desire. Some manufacturers have made "Wal-mart" specials, designed to sell at lower price points in the store, based on the volume that Wal-mart generates. These are typically plain-jane models, but use the same internal parts. No manufacturer would risk their reputation on an unsafe or faulty gun just to sell it at Wal-mart.

I've bought guns at Wal-mart, and I don't feel bad about it. If my local shop can get within a reasonable price difference, I'll buy it there, but I'm not going to pay 25% more just to buy from a locally owned business.

Price differs considerably depending on where you are, but a new 500a base model here retails for $270.00 - $300.00
Old May 15, 2010, 05:34 AM   #10
LanceOregon

Instead of the Mossberg, I would get a CZ 712 Utility shotgun. Only $432 at Budsgunshop.com:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/59707

Great fast semiautomatic action that will absorb and soften a lot of the shotgun's recoil, making it far easier to shoot.

Guntests.com found that it easily outperformed Mossberg's expensive 930 tactical shotgun. See:

http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/21_9...uns5747-1.html

Old May 15, 2010, 05:54 AM   #11
Xfire68

If your in the mood for fun shooting it looks like the Saiga 12g will supply lots of that! It just screams "Blast Stuff"! The others are more practical but, not all of us are always practical!

Last edited by Xfire68; May 16, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:30 AM   #12
EdInk

Sounds like I may have some shopping to do today. Will see how things go.
Old May 15, 2010, 08:40 AM   #13
EdInk

So many guns. So little money.

I will let you know.

My birthday is in less than a month. Maybe I should wait and see what other people are willing to help with in terms of money.

Even if I don't purchase today, I will make a decision about the shotgun.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:40 PM   #14
EdInk

Looked at the Mossbergs they looked nice enough. I think that I will need more time to think about it and play with one a little bit. I like to make informed
purchases and since I'm new to shotguns I want to try a few more.

I did pick-up a new Ruger 22/44 though. Which was also on my short list.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:13 AM   #15
LanceOregon

Just keep in mind that with full power Buckshot ammo, a pump action shotgun is going to have more recoil than some really powerful big game hunting rifles like the .340 Weatherby and .375 H&H Magnum. Recoil will instead be closer to that of a .338 or .375 Remington Ultra Magnum rifle, which are well known for their extreme kick.

A semiauto shotgun will be far easier to shoot both accurately and quickly. Whether during practice, or in actual self defense situations.

Old May 16, 2010, 08:39 AM   #16
Caboclo

I know nothing about shotguns. Will someone please educate me on why you can't use a "tactical" gun such as the Saiga for hunting?
Old May 17, 2010, 08:42 AM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Everyone needs a good pumpgun. Either a 500 or an 870 will suffice for most shotgun missions.Try both,get the one that feels best.

I like the Saiga. Recently I did a T&E on a box stock loaner. Worked 100% and wold be an excellent choice if the only mission was immediate reduction of threat levels.

But, it's a little cumbersome as a hunter.

Caboclo, hunting shotguns tend to be longer, lighter and more nimble than their "Serious" kin. Some defensive shotguns will work for hunting but they're not close to ideal. The obverse is also true.,
Old May 19, 2010, 12:58 AM   #18
loverme85

Buy what your going to use more which would be the 500. Zombies? how old are we? I've seen this zombie killer stuff posted numerous times and its retarded. Childish comments like that make gun owners look bad, and give ammo to all these anti-gun nuts.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:50 AM   #19
LanceOregon

Quote:
Will someone please educate me on why you can't use a "tactical" gun such as the Saiga for hunting?
Biggest problem is that some people will assume that you are NOT hunting, and that instead you some kind of crazy militia extremist running around the area. This will be especially true if you are wearing camo.

I once experienced this with a friend. We were both hunting marmots with our Colt Match Target Accurized AR rifles ( model 6724 ). We each had 20 round mags in our rifles, scope sights, and were dressed in full camo, so we could hide in ambush of the big fat marmots.

We had permission to hunt on a couple of farms, and walked down the road from one property to the other.

Well, another rancher on horseback came up to us, and wanted to know "What the hell are you two up to?"

He was a pretty bold and gutsy guy, to come up and talk to two guys in camo holding AR-15's in their hands like that. We had to explain to him that we were just varmint hunters, and had obtained permission from his neighbors.

Old May 20, 2010, 10:03 AM   #20
JerseyDrez

Go with the 500, or get the 88 and save the rest of your money for a case of ammo!

Both are great shotguns.

Edit: And about the .22 pistol, if your looking to have lots of fun with one, the P22 is great. I have one and love it. If your looking for something with a longer barrel and better accuracy, check out the Buckmark or MkII/III.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old May 20, 2010, 05:20 PM   #21
EdInk

I am still interested them. I know myself and wouldn't be happy with the Maverick knowing I could get the regular Mossberg for @ $100 more.

It will be a few months before I buy another gun, though.