The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 10, 2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Kilz

J. Stevens A & T Co. help:(

I have recently ran across several rifles from a good friend of mine that I work with. He told me he had 5 rifles for sale and offered em to me for a dirt dirt cheap price...So I went and looked at em and decided to buy all of them because of 2 rifles.

The one Im most curious about is the J. Stevens A & T Co. .32 shot, lever action. I have spent about 2 hours googling this gun as Im not to familiar with rifles(Im a pistol kinda guy) especially really old rifles. Well the googling got me here but Im still just as ignorant about the gun as I was 3 hours ago...

What I would like to know is if some of you could point me in the right direction with a website with info like date of manfuacture, worth, ext ext or post what you know about the gun, anything would be nice

The only information I have on the gun is it is a J. Stevens A & T Chicopee Falls Mass USA Pat April 17 94. Then beside that to the left it says 32-shot. Under the lever directly behind the trigger is stamped A 3392.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. Hopefully I have posted enough info.

Oh as for the other old gun I bought its a Winchester model 1892 .22s 2nd version in about 70% shape. It a sharp gun.
Old August 10, 2007, 01:19 PM   #2
deadin

It's probably either a No.20 or a No.16-1/2. Both were chambered for the .32 rimfire shot cartrdge. The #16-1/2 is usually marked "Crack Shot" on the barrel, so yours is probably the #20. made 1890's to about 1913 or so. Value depends on condition. The 2007 Standard Catalog of firearms show that No. 20 at 125 (Poor) to 500 (Exc). The 16 1/2 is a little lower at 100 to 400.
Actual value could vary widely from these.
Old August 11, 2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Kilz

Thanks for the info.

Do you think its worth putting alil money and time into it to restore it or not? The gun has absolutly no sentimental value to me whatsoever
Old August 11, 2007, 07:08 AM   #4
deadin

If it were a family gun or something like that and the condition bothered you, maybe then, but restoration usually doesn't add anything to the value. In fact it probably would lower it. (YMMV....just my opinion)
Old September 14, 2007, 07:10 PM   #5
stevensrimfire

answer to J Stevens A & T Co. help ?

what you have is stevens favorite rifle made for the 32 rimfire shot shells its model number is the#20 if you have some pictures I could possably give you a ball park price (stevensrimfire) mike
Old September 22, 2007, 12:34 AM   #6
KathleenGA

clueless about this gun

Me and my dad dug this gun up while digging a pond. It says J. STEVENS & CO. SHISOPEE FALLS MASS. PAT S*P*. *. 1854 and it is stamped on the top of the Barrel at the chamber and the barrel goes from round at the end and becomes hexagon at the chamber and barrel. The gun is a single shot barrel. Any info would be terrific. I plan to restore it soon.
Old September 23, 2007, 06:55 PM   #7
elrod

According to my sources (Blue Book of Gun Values, Modern Gun Values), there were approxmately 15 models of early Stevens lever guns chambered in .32 rimfire. I have no reference to the serial number sequence. Proper identification without a photograph will be very difficult. However, Fjestad says this to value: "Values............typically range between $50-$175, depending on rarity and condition."
These are older, more common guns with little collecter intrest.