The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 14, 2010, 10:28 AM   #1
MikeyM

Reloading 38+P

I need some advice on reloading 38+P. Maybe not so much advice but opinion. I am considering buying the Ruger LCR 38 +P. I've been reloading 9mm, .40 s&w & .45 acp. My question is, because I have no experience w/ .38+P,
can I load standard rounds in a +P cartridge. Or should I just look at a .38/357
handgun for a easier fix. Also any opinions on the LCR would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Old January 14, 2010, 10:49 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. There is no problem loading standard charges in +P cases (I think that's what you were asking?). I've heard the military has some +P+ cases that are extra heavy brass, but most +P cases are identical to standard except for the "+P" on the headstamp. In other words, the headstamp is only there to help keep the higher pressure loads segregated from standard loads. It's just a record keeping device, not a mechanical difference.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 14, 2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Ksmoker

38's

I load 38, 357's in both flavors, I myself never felt the need to load beyond the max in the manufacture's recipe. If I feel the need for a heavier/faster load I go to the 357 mag. I never had the need to push that chunk of lead out any faster. Some will disagree, that's just my opinion. Better safe than sorry.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:44 PM   #4
The Tourist

I have reloaded since 1974. Never, ever, ever in any cartridge in any caliber for any pistol (except one) did I ever load more than 7/8 the top load.

(I did once top-load a light bullet for a 2.5 inch SW 66. I fired 12 shots, and never loaded it that way again.)

As for my rifles, I find that if I take one full grain off the max load, I get tighter groups.

For metallic silhuettes, I just went to a heavy linotype Keith 429421. I did not up my powder consumption.
Old January 14, 2010, 07:31 PM   #5
Sevens

Quote:
I have reloaded since 1974. Never, ever, ever in any cartridge in any caliber for any pistol (except one) did I ever load more than 7/8 the top load.
It's a fine axiom to live by, especially if it's served you well since 1974.

Problem I've got with it is that load data, even published load data varies quite a bit across the board. What one publication states (and your 7/8) of that might be higher or lower from the next source.

I tend to make all my loads under at least one trusted, published max. But not all of them. And I know that there are many long time and VERY successful handloaders that use some published maximums as loose guidelines. I don't have a problem with that.
Old January 27, 2010, 06:51 AM   #6
CapnDub

Unclenick is correct: there is no difference between standard and +P brass other than the headstamp. But better you should see for yourself. The SAAMI specs are here, p. 40. http://www.saami.org/Publications/205.pdf