The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 24, 2008, 01:37 AM   #1
mcd0205

Locked SA 9mm

I have been reading on this forum for quite a while now and I finally need some help from all you experts. I have a Springfield XD 9 Subcompact. My roommate (who has a bit of a tendancy to break things) was handling my gun tonight and managed to strip it and put the slide back on without the spring securely in place. The spring is now out of the gun and the barrel is locked between the slide and the frame. The slide won't move forward enough for me to get it back into place. If I could move the slide forward more the barrel would drop into the ejection port and I could take it off but as it is right now there is no way for me to get it back into place and the gun is unusable. I'm sure I can't be the first person to have this problem and there is probably some simple solution to it. So if any of you semi-auto experts can give me some help here I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Old July 24, 2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Harry Bonar

slide

Sir;
Be careful not to damage the slid and frame fit by forcing things. You might take a pencil in the bore and hold the barrel up in place till you slide it out. I'm sure you can quietly get this back in operation. It appears to me that the barrel is holding things up.
In a 1911 when we fit a new barrel we sometimes have to partially insert the slide stop pin to move the barrel up to get the pin in - this migh be your problem somewhat.
Harry B.
Old July 24, 2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Hugh G Rection

An application of the jiggle fator may help.

have you looked at another Xd and tried to see what could be hanging everything up?
Old July 24, 2008, 05:07 PM   #4
mcd0205

GOT IT!

Ok, This was so simple to fix that it is a little embarassing to admit. It happened late last night so I have to admit I wasn't thinking as clearly as I should have been. I couldn't get it to dry fire, which would release the slide and take care of the problem. This afternoon I realized that the slide wasn't pushed forward enough for it to be cocked. When I pushed it forward and pulled the trigger it fired and the slide came right off.

Thanks for the help. I was really worried I was going to have to pay somebody to take care of this but a little more thinking was all it took.

Now I just have to besure to keep the thing away from my roommate