The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2001, 09:19 PM   #1
branrot

Settled on 650. Now what caliber???

Well, after much thought, I've finally decided to spend the extra cash and go for the gusto with the Dillon 650. Now my question is which caliber?

I've got a .45, 2 .40's, a bunch of 9mm's, a .357, and a few others. I prefer shooting the 9mm's, .40 and .45, but would also consider going with a .357 because I can use lead bullets (which is much cheaper). While I shoot the most 9mm, I can get good quality 9mm practice ammo for $100-120 per thousand, which leans me towards the .40 or .45.

Is there a particular caliber I should start with? Is one easier/safer than another?I'm only buying one caliber setup to start with. If you choose one particular caliber, please give me the reasons.
Old July 9, 2001, 10:01 PM   #2
Steve Smith

I take it all the other calibered guns (besides the .357) are Glocks?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old July 9, 2001, 11:34 PM   #3
branrot

Steve: No. Only one of the .40's is a child of Gaston (my Glock 23).
Old July 10, 2001, 07:07 AM   #4
Redneck2

A little Dillon Advice..

One thing I didn't understand at first is the different pieces and parts it takes to change from caliber to caliber. There are guys here that know WAY more than I do, but basically you need a shell plate (holder), powder funnel (which takes the place of the expander die..just found that out) and the seater/crimp die. The caliber conversion kits have all the parts you need (except dies), but some parts may be duplications. For example, the shell plate for the .45 acp is the same one as my 22-250. You can avoid duplication and save money if you list which parts you have and which you need.
Old July 10, 2001, 11:24 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I vote for .45 ACP. Here's why---

The Dillon dies are wonderful, having the inserts which can be removed from seat and crimp dies without disturbing the carefully-set die bodies. This enables you to drop out the inserts for cleaning (Very important when loading cast bullets) in short order.

And, the Dillon dies are chamfered at the mouth, allowing the case to enter with less chance of deformation. This is less problem with bottle neck cases. I am using RCBS dies for .308, .30-06, and .223.

This is not to say you can't use other prand dies in your Dillon--You just have to take a little extra time to keep from ruining cases.

Also, the basic shell plate of that size handles not only .45 ACP but several others: .30-06, .308/7.62X51mm, 7mm-08, .243 Win, and some others. (BTW: .223 and .380 ACP use same shell plate.) The instruction manual which comes with your loading seup will tell you the sizes.

Once you have the .45ACP plate, you also have the locater pins for that size base. Then, all you need from the "conversion" would be the powder funnel.

I'm sure you already know to be especially careful in use of handloads in .40 S&W--It was designed as a high pressure cartridge, and it has somewhat less "fudge factor" as far as pressure goes. Also, it is VERY sensitive to changes in cartridge overall length (COL) compared to the older pistol cartridges. There are those who will tell you to NEVER load lead bulles for the .40, but I know a lot pf people who use 'em. Simply, DO NOT get near max loads, watch the COL, and clean your pistol regularly.

You mentioned being able to use lead bullets in .357. Really, you can use 'em in pretty near ALL cartridges, with due care. I loaded 300 .45 ACP last night on my 550: 230 gr. LRN, 5.3 gr. W-231, WLP primers. Set to same COL as factory hardball--Not home now, so I cant quote length.

Best,
Johnny