The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 11, 2006, 07:30 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Google Earth Questions

Anyone got the lowdown on Google? My question is, is the free version constantly being updated with more detailed aerial views? The more highly detailed areas seem to be expanding - or is this my imagination? There is a high-detail area that has come within 10 miles of where I hunt - so close....

If you subscribe, do you get that extra level of detail everywhere?

Anyone know why the entire state of Missouri is in the high detail, unlike other states?

Thanks. Clueless here.

Oh, I think this is hunting related, because these aerials can help all hunters, but if it's not, that's ok - we can close this
Old October 11, 2006, 08:21 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

FF, I have Google Earth Pro, and the coverage is the same. It's basically a patchwork quilt of aerial photos and satellite imagery. The photos are much better quality than the sat images.

As to what area gets photographed and what doesn't, it's pretty much up to USGS, but it's usually populated areas or areas of special interest, like some of the national parks. You'll also find that some of the photos are older than others.

There's also a new beta version of the paid version that's supposed to have some pretty neat 3-D capabilities, but I haven't had time to mess with it much, yet.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 11, 2006, 09:26 PM   #3
rem33

I hope it is being updated with better resolution in rural areas. I have used it to look over areas I hunt. The picture of my house is newer than when I first downloaded, how much of the earth is I have no idea. The tree in our yard was fully leafed and now the photograph is from winter.
Old October 12, 2006, 06:41 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

It is being constantly updated and the updates are both rural and urban, the urban updates being for more and more smaller towns that do not have the refined imagery of the city areas.

My property seems to have been through 2 updates. The first brought it up to being dark green (medium resolution?) from the red tinge (low?) and the eastern 1/5 of 46 acres is now into the vivid and fully natural tone of the high resolution. Unfortunately, the eastern section is simply a pasture and so the high resolution tells me nothing new about my place, although I can not make out the details of my neighbor's property, house, and out buildings just fine.

I have been using Google Earth and its measurement and marking functions to measure distances to roads, houses, other structures, town, etc. from my property so as to have a more definitive idea of what is down range in all directions and how far. Of course, it doesn't show what was moved their since the images were made, but it at least provides insight into aspects beyond my property that I otherwise would not have had. It is just some nice insight of the last part of the rule, "Know your target, backstop, and beyond."
Old October 12, 2006, 08:08 PM   #5
sparkysteve

Check out mytopo.com. You can get maps and airial photos and they'll mail them to you. You can customize them to your area, size, scale, etc. I think you can download them too. I got some last year before a mule deer hunt in Wyoming mailed to my home on waterproof paper for a few bucks.

Dont tread on me.