The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 4, 2014, 06:35 PM   #1
rcase1234

Best AR optic $200 or under?

Hey everyone. What would you recommend for an AR optic at $200 or under? I don't want an magnification and I want either red dot, holographic, or reflex. IM LOOKING FOR OPTIONS OUTSIDE OF THE VERY POPULAR EOTECH!
Old April 4, 2014, 07:53 PM   #2
skizzums

burris, kinda hard to find for under 200, they make some ar specific ones for about 250$
http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-1...35-sights.html

for reflex, you dont need to spend 200$ to get a good one, i like the sightmark i had alot and can be had for around 100$
http://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-Ultr...ords=sightmark

if i was going for an AR15 i would want a 30-35mm tube on a canilver mount that i could see my irons through
http://www.millettsights.com/mounts/...ilever-Mounts/

or you could go with a reflex and cowitness the sights, but i like the dot to sit high so i dont have to press my face so low, i lie to be able to stand and move quickly with a red-dot
Old April 4, 2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Jay24bal

My recommendation would be the Vortex Strikefire. They have a newer model (Strikefire II) coming out soon, so most places have the older one on closeout for $100ish.

It has a red and green dot (4 MOA), and all of mine have been very durable and held zero perfectly.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old April 5, 2014, 12:53 PM   #4
armed_librarian

Vortex

Someone already recommended the Strikefire so I will mention the SPARC. I picked one up from PSA about a month ago for $150 plus free shipping (I think the price has gone down since I ordered). So far a great little optic. Holds zero, small(ish) dot and nice and small. Plus I hear the Vortex customer service and warranty is top notch. It came with all the different mounts to get any height you want out of it. I've got it mounted at absolute cowitness and its perfect for me. It came with 2 batteries, I'm still on my first, but I hear that they are expensive to replace.

Good luck on your search!
Old April 5, 2014, 02:51 PM   #5
skizzums

ive never owned a vortex, but i hear they are kinda the standard these days, if you can find in your price range, i would def check them out
Old April 5, 2014, 03:57 PM   #6
Corrections Cop

I have the Vortex Strikefire, it seems like a great optic so far.
Old April 5, 2014, 04:15 PM   #7
gargodude

I had one of those. Put it on my Mini-14. I really liked the idea of the red/green dot, switchable buy a push of the button. The first one I got sighted in just fine and tracked as expected, however, the POI changed about 2-1/2" when I switched to the green dot. I called Vortex, who handled the situation very nicely. They sent me a new one after I sent mine back to them. Mounted the replacement and had a heck of a time getting it to move as expected. Once I finally got it sighted in, I switched to green and had the same thing happen, only worse. POI was about 3" different then the red dot. Called Vortex again and they sent me another new one. This time, they picked up the return shipping. This one was just like the 2nd one. Same problems. Called Vortex and they offered me a trade-up to a SPARC red dot and no extra charge. (it was obvious at this point that all of the Strikefires they had on hand had the same problems). I took them up on their offer but didn't like or even mount the SPARC. I thought it was much too big and heavy for having such a small viewable area. I sent it back and they ended up refunding my purchase price on the Strikefire. At this point, it's obvious that there are problems with the Strikefires so they are phasing them out. This explains the cheap price. They did make a red dot only version of the Strikefire for the same price, but I'm not sure they still do. No complaints about Vortex. Their customer service is second to none, but I would steer clear of the red/green Strikefire if I were you. I just picked up a Primary Arms Micro red dot for my shotgun. Haven't sighted it in yet, but I am pleased with the quality thus far. If it works out, it would be the best $80 I ever spent.
UPDATE: Sighted it in on the Mossberg 500 (18.5" barrel) today. No problems after 30 rounds. These are great red dots for the money.

Last edited by gargodude; April 6, 2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old April 5, 2014, 04:55 PM   #8
4thPoint

I went with a TRS-25 from Bushnell.

With mount, it's absolute co-witness which doesn't bother me at all as I have folding sights (and still wouldn't if they weren't.)
Old April 6, 2014, 01:54 AM   #9
skizzums

my honest opinion is you will get more enjoyment from a lower mag scope on an ar, they are justsuch accurate weapons, its kind of a waste, in my opinion, to simply go with a red-dot

dont disregard throwing a nikon 4x 223 scope on it and buy a cheap red dot for when you wanna blow some ammo

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3-...ikon+223+scope

if this is your first AR, your going to eventually want a decent piece of glass when you see just how far these things can accurately shoot
Old April 6, 2014, 07:59 AM   #10
Skadoosh

I use the Burris AR132 on my carbine and the Burris AR332 on my rifle. Excellent sights. Both can be had for just over $200 each.

Old April 6, 2014, 09:00 AM   #11
Nathan

+1 for Strikefire
Old April 8, 2014, 10:01 PM   #12
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
my honest opinion is you will get more enjoyment from a lower mag scope on an ar
This. Get a used Burris Tac30 1-4x24. Or better yet, the one skizzums linked to - unless you have to have CQB capability (which I'd say means a 1.5x or less low end)

But if you must get an unlimited eye relief sight, then yeah, that Bushnell TRS-25 ain't none too shabby at about $100.
Old April 9, 2014, 10:06 AM   #13
nc-oldfart

I like and use a quality dot optic on revolvers I have for hunting but for aany rifle it will be a scope. To stay with in your budget a weaver 1.5-6 kaspa will work well. There is a stupid zombie and non zombie version. I got the one with green on it but the price extra low and most of it wet sanded off.

I decided to try one on mine and it doe not get much love from the regular ar guys cause its cheap but as a hunter first I am pleased with it.

http://s331.photobucket.com/user/har...tml?sort=3&o=7