The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2001, 09:29 AM   #1
Icopy

Over the weekend I purchased a Ruger MKII Target model customized with many Volquartsen parts. I purchased a generic Ruger manual as well. I removed the mainspring according to the manual. No problem. The manual then says I can lift off the barrel/receiver assembly from the frame. I can’t do it. The darn thing won’t budge. Can anybody offer advice before I go gorilla on it.
Old January 23, 2001, 10:38 AM   #2
Mike Baugh

After removing the mainspring housing , remove the bolt and then the barrel/receiver has to be moved forward about 3/16" before it will lift off , somtimes they are very snug . Good luck , Mike...
Old January 23, 2001, 11:57 AM   #3
RiverRider

Like Mike said...and he means SNUG! I ususally have to bump the back end of the receiver sharply on the edge of my bench to separate the parts. Be sure you're hanging on to both parts when you do this.

When you reassemble, after you have the barrel/receiver back in place, you'll need to make sure the hammer is in the forward (fired) position before you attempt to reinstall the mainspring assembly. Otherwise you'll be trying to compress the mainspring as you reinstall it, and I don't think any mere mortal can do that.
Old January 23, 2001, 12:20 PM   #4
Icopy

Thanks for the advice guys. I was starting to get very frustrated. I think I'll put it in my padded vice and give it some gentle persuasion with my rubber mallet.
Old January 23, 2001, 01:01 PM   #5
Mike Baugh

I use a rubber mallet to seperate mine , just smack the receiver forward . I usually lube the hook on the frame when I put them back together because they fit so tight , you can also twist the receiver on the frame so make sure it is setting correctly [hole through receiver and frame aligned] before you try to reinsert your mainspring housing . Good luck , Mike...
Old January 23, 2001, 07:05 PM   #6
johnwill

Plastic hammer, both of my MK-II's require that treatment to remove the barrel. Of course, I recommend not removing the barrel all that often, since that will just tend to loosen up things over time. There really is no cleaning routine cleaning that requires you to remove the barrel...