The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 4, 2015, 08:47 PM   #1
Jdougg92

Is a PS90 worth the purchase?

I have finally saved up enough to get a new PS90, and I am now becoming skeptical about purchasing it. The round & cost is the major cause.
If anyone has shot it or has one, does it feel like shooting a 22lr?
And does anyone have any first hand accounts or heard from reliable sources about the performance of the round? Would a 9,40, 45 be better in a home defense option?

I feel like this unique firearm could be something taken off the market at a moments notice and should get one. Or should I save another 6/700 for a MPX or Vector
Old September 4, 2015, 08:59 PM   #2
dakota.potts

I think they're all good choices for something unique. Are you planning to get an SBR? I think the Vector and MPX will shine more as SBRs versus pistols.

Personally, in a handgun I would take a 9mm over a 5.7. In a rifle it probably evens out a little more. The 5.7 is lighter but moving a lot faster. With varmint tipped rounds, you will get the more rapid fragmentation and lesser penetration that a lot of people are desiring these days for self defense.

I'll muddy the pot a little more and throw in the CZ Scorpion Evo 3 if you're not already considering it. It's available as a pistol and SBR kits will be available soon.

They're at Impact Guns right now for $732.89
Old September 4, 2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Jdougg92

I actually have one already, and the stamp. Watering for the U.S. Compliance parts and the stock.
The cheapest 5.7 rounds are no more than Winchester white box for 45.
The scorpion is hands down the most fun gun I own.
I'm worried about the PS90 feeling like I am shooting a 22 Walther clone of a G36 or MP5
Old September 5, 2015, 12:12 PM   #4
WC145

Love my PS90. No issues with the cartridge. Very accurate, fast shooting, comparatively quiet. Easy to put several rounds on target fast as you can pull the trigger. Palmetto State Armory has been selling the FN 40gr V-Max ammo for $16.99 and American Eagle 40gr FMJ for $15.99 a box all summer.

There isn't really any recoil, if that's your concern about it feeling like a .22. The gun itself is solid and well made. I've read complaints about the trigger but mine isn't bad. It's very short and fast handling, even with the 16" barrel. Of course, the 50rd mags are a bonus.

I've shot MP5s and UMPs, they're cool and fun but I like the PS90 better. It shoots flatter and reaches further. With a red dot and a 50yd zero I can easily put 10rds in a tennis ball size group at 100yds off my picnic table and it shoots accurately to 150-175yds with a dead on hold. That's about the distance from my yard across my back field to the woods, the route that skunks, coons, bobcats, coyotes, feral cats, etc take when I run them off from trying to get into my chicken yard, trash, etc..

The SS197 round has worked great on the smallish predatory animals I've shot. I've read everything I could find on it and people have used it on medium sized hogs and small to medium sized deer with impressive results. My primary house gun is a .45acp 1911, the PS90 is a back up to that and my "something's getting at the chickens" gun, as well as a general fun gun, (I've used it in a couple of 3 gun matches and my 13y/o just used it in his first) and it excels in that role. I'm confident that it would work just fine in a self defense capacity as well. Overall, I've found it to be handier and more useful to me than an AR in 5.56, in fact, I've sold my 5.56 caliber guns. If I need more than the PS90 is capable of I'll step up to a 12ga, .30-30, or .308.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old September 5, 2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Pond, James Pond

If you like the short design, and have a decent budget but are wary of the ammo's price and availability, the go bullpup with a Tavor or FS2000.

Both look like very unusual pieces and by all accounts seem well made and accurate using the 5.56 round...
Old September 5, 2015, 11:24 PM   #6
Sharkbite

Ive not shot a PS90, but have a bit of trigger time on a P90. That gun is a real winner. Super low recoil impulse allows easy control of bursts at all practical ranges of the cartridge.

The longer barrel of the PS90 can only improve the terminal ballistics of the little round.

Id get it, if the gun interests you. I would forgo the intergrated sight and get one with the rail. Add a micro-dot and a suppressor.... Oh baby!!
Old September 6, 2015, 07:50 AM   #7
kcub

Quote:
If anyone has shot it or has one, does it feel like shooting a 22lr?
You can tell you are shooting something more substantial than a .22lr but you can keep all your shots on target as fast as you can pull the trigger. I'd love to have the full auto version but its not really necessary, especially in a carbine like this with no recoil.

I'd say it's a great home defense carbine because you have 50 rounds on tap. It will be so much easier to shoot accurately under stress than a pistol.
Old September 14, 2015, 09:10 PM   #8
Jdougg92

You guys throughly convinced me and I ordered a PS90 standard new for $1050. Supposed to get her Wednesday. Got 3 30 round FN magazines for $15 a piece and a dremel for all that unnecessary plastic at the end.
What are other must have accessories for this rifle?
Old September 14, 2015, 11:12 PM   #9
marine6680

Are you going to rebuild the 30rd mags as 50rd mags?
Old September 15, 2015, 04:57 AM   #10
Jdougg92

Of course, where I live we can have as many as you want. Looks pretty straight forward just cutting down the 30 round base plates
Old September 15, 2015, 07:25 AM   #11
kcub

I love mine. It has the original ghost ring sights which I like a lot.

This gun is a whole nother level of fun. It is more visceral than a .22 but not objectionably.
Old September 15, 2015, 09:35 AM   #12
Jdougg92

What online retailer has the best ammo prices, I see Palmetto State has the AE and FN going for 15/17 respectively, when they are not on sale, where do you go?
Old September 15, 2015, 12:54 PM   #13
dakota.potts

Why did you have to buy them as 30 round mags? I'd never heard of that
Old September 15, 2015, 01:01 PM   #14
Jdougg92

I didn't have to, they were just on sale, $10 cheaper than the 50 rounders from what I saw. Sawing off the base plate seems straight forward though.
Old September 15, 2015, 06:58 PM   #15
barnbwt

Careful slapping that mag down the first time; it'll bite-cha!

TCB
Old September 17, 2015, 07:21 PM   #16
Grumpy_Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdougg92 View Post
You guys throughly convinced me and I ordered a PS90 standard new for $1050. Supposed to get her Wednesday. Got 3 30 round FN magazines for $15 a piece and a dremel for all that unnecessary plastic at the end.
What are other must have accessories for this rifle?
Where did you find it for $1050?
Old September 17, 2015, 08:00 PM   #17
Jdougg92

Just literally calling around to random gun stores I saw a list of, 4th try a store in Missouri had it listed at $1199, the guy said he'll replace the 30 with a 50 round magazine and lowered the price over the phone, and shipped it to my dealer.
Old September 18, 2015, 12:31 PM   #18
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
And does anyone have any first hand accounts or heard from reliable sources about the performance of the round?

I have a PS90 and it's a great rifle for recoil sensitive shooters in a few uses; HD being one.

Mine's been 100% reliable and if you watch the Palmetto State Armory sales you can get the American Eagle for $0.30/rd which is no more that 45ACP.

FWIW: My SS198 gel test from a 5.7 pistol
Old September 18, 2015, 09:40 PM   #19
WC145

Quote:
What online retailer has the best ammo prices, I see Palmetto State has the AE and FN going for 15/17 respectively, when they are not on sale, where do you go?
Just a heads up, the AE ammo has a bad habit of the projectile pushing back into the case and jamming the gun. Happens at least once a box. I've stopped buying it and only buy the FN SS197 ammo with the blue tip 40gr Hornady V-Max bullet, have had zero issues with this ammo, well worth the extra dollar or two a box.

As far as accessories go, the best thing I did was to replace the stock rail (which its ridiculously high) with a TROS 'Ultra low' 30mm optic mount for my Millett Zoom Dot - http://www.trosusa.com/. It lowers the optic a good inch and allows for a normal cheek weld, makes a huge difference in how the gun points and feels.

I also added a perforated barrel shroud from Moerse Lekker. It looks great, beefs up the front of the gun and that skinny barrel, but, more importantly, it keeps me from burning my hand on the barrel. My fingers are too big to comfortably/safely fit my thumb in the same hole as my trigger finger so I grip the gun forward of the trigger 'guard' with my off hand. It gets pretty close to the barrel, which heats up in a hurry if your really burning the rounds through it, and this shroud keeps me from burning myself. http://www.moerse.com/PRODUCTS/PS90/PS-90.htm

The only other thing I have for it is a BlackHawk single point sling adapter that I haven't put on the gun yet so I can't tell you much about it.

BTW, when I bought my two PS90s they came with one 50rd mag each and I ordered 3 extra 50rd mags for each gun. For $25 each I figured it was worth getting the factory mags.
Congrats on your purchase, $1050 is a good buy. I think you're going to enjoy the gun.

This is mine -
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old September 18, 2015, 10:21 PM   #20
barnbwt

Another heads up, both the knock-off AR57 and Korean magazines aren't very reliable (esp. the Koreans). One of my first range trip experiences was a double feed that slammed a ballistic tip right square into the next round's primer (rifle had jammed before the extractor could engage, and charging the gun just tied it up worse). Thankfully these were blue plastic tip SS197 and not metal-point AE, or it'd have been a lot more eventful

TCB
Old September 19, 2015, 09:04 PM   #21
Unlicensed Dremel

I think yes, it's worth it, and IMO yes, it's an adequate defense round. It will hold it's value, and be fun as all get out, having very little recoil. Don't think you'd be disappointed.

HOWEVER, one rig that might be even better (this is what I'd do if going with that chambering), is an AR15 with an AR57 upper. The empty brass shoots into a hollowed-out AR15 mag - how sweet is that!?!
Old September 19, 2015, 09:12 PM   #22
kymarkh

I love mine and can put multiple rounds on target with ease even when walking/moving - having a red dot on top of that rail leads to an upright position that is easy to use when moving. The only issue I have encountered is when you are up close the point of impact may be several inches below the point of aim due to the high sight position over bore. Has not been a real issue in actual usage though.

A benchrest rifle it is not, but if you want to put 4 or 5 pills into something very quickly without the hassle of a lot of recoil its just the ticket.
Old September 20, 2015, 09:03 PM   #23
barnbwt

"HOWEVER, one rig that might be even better (this is what I'd do if going with that chambering), is an AR15 with an AR57 upper. The empty brass shoots into a hollowed-out AR15 mag - how sweet is that!?!"
Supposedly a Crown Royal bag & some coathangar wire will make a classy catcher for the PS90

TCB
Old September 20, 2015, 10:06 PM   #24
mellow_c

WC145's set up looks great! I've always been concerned about the height of the optic on the PS90. The barrel shroud drastically improves the looks in my opinion as well as adding some very practical protection. One example that comes to mind would be releasing the slung rifle after some high volume shooting to transition to your pistol. Having that shroud would allow you to be free from worry about burning yourself or your gear.

I have a question for all of you who have shot one.
How loud are they? can you give me a comparison? I've got a Kel Tech Sub 2000 9mm that I feel would make a great HD gun for the simple fact that it's not nearly as loud as a pistol or AR-15.

The volume of a firearm is something I seriously consider. I used to have a rule, that for each new firearm I purchased, the first shot I would take would be without ear protection, just so I could have the experience and for the sake of comparison. I always shot outside. Then one day I took my first shot out of my brand new XD .45, and for some reason, it felt louder to me than anything I'd ever done that with before. 9mm, 38 special, and others didn't compare to the punch my ears felt from that 45. (I've always heard that 9mm is louder than 45, but that has not been my experience also I'd expect that a 38 special from a revolver would hurt my ears more than a semi auto 45 acp, but I cant remember that far back, I just know I changed my mind after shooting the 45!) So after that I decided I would not be taking those first unprotected shots again.

The only thing I'll shoot without hearing protection now is a bolt action, lever action or semi auto rifle in 22lr, or maybe some 22 shorts from a revolver, or CB caps.

Anyway... I'd really like to know how the PS90 compares regarding it's volume. with the 16 inch barrel I'd like to think it could be a little more bearable to shoot indoors vs something like a 9mm pistol, 45 acp, .223, or a 12 gauge. If it turns out that it's not as hard on the ears as some of those other options, the fact that it has a good standard capacity, shorter overall length, and very minimal recoil might actually make it one of the best HD options available.

Interesting.......

Last edited by mellow_c; September 20, 2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old September 21, 2015, 07:04 AM   #25
kcub

Quote:
Just a heads up, the AE ammo has a bad habit of the projectile pushing back into the case and jamming the gun. Happens at least once a box. I've stopped buying it and only buy the FN SS197 ammo with the blue tip 40gr Hornady V-Max bullet, have had zero issues with this ammo, well worth the extra dollar or two a box.
How does that happen with negligible recoil and perpendicular ammo in high capacity magazines?

I have some but haven't shot enough of it to know.

Tags
5.7x28 , fnh , p90 , pdw , ps90