The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 22, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1
JN01

Response from Sen Rob Portman (OH)

Rob Portman has historically been a strong RKBA supporter, but after Sandy Hook, he made a statement that seemed slightly weaselly. I wrote him for a clarification. His response:

"Thank You for contacting me to express your views about the President's gun control proposals. It is good to hear from you.

"As you know, President Obama recently issued 23 executive actions and endorsed gun control legislative initiatives following the terrible tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

"I had hoped President Obama would look to address the root causes of senseless acts of violence and work with Congress to develop a comprehensive plan to lessen the likelihood of these kinds of tragic incidents in the future. Unfortunately, the President has chosen to act unilaterally wherever he can and focus on new gun bans which I believe would undermine the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens.

"In response to tragic attacks like the one at Sandy Hook Elementary, I remain committed to ensuring that those who suffer from mental illness, a common thread in these instances, receive proper care, that current gun laws are enforced, and that school safety is enhanced as we address the deeper issue of violence in our society.

"Thank you again for taking the time to contact my office. For more information, please visit my website at www.portman.senate.gov. Please keep in touch.

Sincerely,
Rob Portman
US Senator