The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 8, 2009, 02:22 AM   #1
amynb

Scope Mount info

Finally got my scope for my Remington 700 Sps varmint! It's a Bushnell Elite 4200 Rifle Scope 6-24x 40mm. Time to buy mounting rails and kits, but there are some many variants, need help selecting some good ones. I've seen Weaver and Picatinny rails, 20,15, and 10 MOA. What are the big differences between those?

I will be using this for target practice and shooting wild boar, so don't think i'll go past 500 yards.

TIA
Old September 8, 2009, 04:48 AM   #2
ac700wildcat

Dednutz game reaper one piece mounting system. They are rock solid and grip the scope very well without having to tighten the caps very much. http://www.opticsplanet.net/dednutz-...and-bases.html there is a link to some. $50 may seem like a lot, but for what you get they could charge a lot more, not to mention that by the time you buy a good 1 piece base and a good set of rings, you can easily spend well over $50.
Old September 8, 2009, 10:35 AM   #3
sholling

The difference between Picatinny and Weaver rails is mostly the shape of the slots. These are a good way to go if you'll be removing the scope or need a bit of angle to reach out further. That's what the 10 or 20 MOA rails are for.

For permanent mounting I'm fond of the DedNutz Gamereaper (on longer scopes) or Talley one piece lightweight mounts.

DedNutz

Talley Light Weight
Old September 8, 2009, 02:52 PM   #4
amynb

Cool, I'll be looking into those. Still open to more suggestions if you have them.

Thanks!
Old September 9, 2009, 12:03 AM   #5
amynb

Question, those dednutz you guys mention, are they dead on center when I mount my scope on them? I ask because I see no windage screws on them. How was your experience with it when you mounted your scope?
Old September 9, 2009, 04:51 AM   #6
ac700wildcat

I've never seen the need for adjustable bases. I could see using them if your were shooting very long range competition, but not for a rifle that won't ever shoot past 500 yards. The dednutz bases don't have any adjustments. When I changed from the old base and ring setup to the dednutz I had to adjust the scope some as it was shooting a bit high and right, but thats why scopes have adjustments built into them.
Old September 9, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7
sholling

DedNutz mounts are precision CNC machined. It's far more likely that the mounting holes on your rifle will be misaligned than the mount. Rifles with badly misaligned mounting holes aren't super common but it does happen. If that's the case then I my opinion you're better off correcting with Burris Signature rings and offset inserts than with windage adjustable rings. I can't stand windage adjustable Weaver style rings.

Having never used windage adjustable bases I can't speak for how well they work. I suspect fairly well.
Old September 9, 2009, 09:43 PM   #8
amynb

Cool thanks for the input. This is a hobby, so I'll always be trying new things. Will start with the dednutz.

Thanks again!