The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 31, 2008, 01:29 AM   #1
scout7

Question: adjusting the gas system on JC Higgins/High Standard Mod 66

Had to completely disassemble a JC Higgins Model 66 (actually made by High Standard) that was in a flood. Didn't realize until I had it apart that the gas system relief ring was adjustable. Would be interested in knowing if there is a start setting for this, or a rule of thumb for ejection distance, etc, to get it set up correctly again. Any input would be helpful, Thanks!
Old January 12, 2009, 10:47 PM   #2
scout7

Model 66

How about a picture of one that is set up correctly, a measurement or a count of how many threads are exposed? Thanks!
Old January 13, 2009, 08:43 AM   #3
BSlacker

One of my favorite shotguns. Does it have the adjustable choke and Cutts Compensator?
Set the gas ring no more than halfway to start. You only want enough ejection to get the shell out. If the bolt moves to far rearward the action bar may hit the stock mounting piece and break the bar. If you break the action bar you are out of luck unless you can find a used gun for parts.
Old January 16, 2009, 01:46 AM   #4
scout7

Thanks for the reply. It has a fixed modified choke on the plain (no rib) barrel. I was thinking of setting the gas ring very light and then shooting target loads, slowly tightening up the ring until I get it to eject and reload the chamber.

I have read about the fragile action bar and the fact that it can hit the stock mounting piece. Is this piece visible with the trigger group out? I want to make sure that the action bar will not hit it, what I read said that it was common to break the action bar after the buttstock was removed and replaced. The stock mounting piece seems to rotate into the path of the action bar which causes damage the first time it is fired after re-assembly.

Does this seem correct?
Old January 17, 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
BSlacker

With the trigger group out look down the action bar track towards the stock and you will see the mounting piece for the stock the stock bolt is in the middle. Put the action bar in by itself and slide it all the way back and see if it hits anything.
You are on the right track with the gas setting.
Guns with the comp and varichoke are good shooters. Don't shoot steel.
Old January 17, 2009, 11:05 PM   #6
scout7

Let's see if I can post and/or link to a picture of the gas adjustment here. The adjustment "nut" is on the right.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...1/IMG_0610.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0610.jpg (37.2 KB, 224 views)