The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2006, 01:19 PM   #1
olywa

Slug loads

This question might belong in the Reloading forum but I'll ask here because I think it will get a more general response. I'm interested in getting a fully rifled slug barrel for my 870 or 1100 to use in heavy brush for deer and elk. One of the reasons I'm interested is because of all the positive buzz I've been hearing about some of the new slug loads. Where I hunt it is unusual to get a shot much past 50 yards and rapid follow-up is more critical than range.

Here's my question. Does anyone have any experience in handloading slug loads with some of these newer componants? Is it possible to approximate the performance of some of the new commercial loads? How about the accuracy? The commercial loads from Remington and Federal are pretty darn pricey and I'd like to save by handloading.
Old August 20, 2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Shawn Dodson

At 50 yards I wouldn't waste my money on a rifled slug barrel. Standard lead Foster rifled slugs are plenty accurate at this distance.

Rapid follow-up? I suggest Federal's Tactical Rifled Slug, Reduced Recoil (with the new TruBall wad). See: http://www.streichers.com/ProductDet...&Prod=FC-127LE

More recoil reduction? Try a Knoxx Specops stock. See: http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/P...cOpsStock.html

If you're experiencing "accuracy" problems and you're using a bead front sight, then the problem is probably the sight and not you. Personally I prefer rifle sights on a slug barrel (which are adjustable), but you might consider installing a Weaver base and mount an optic sight, either mechanical or electronic red dot.

IMO, saboted shotgun slugs are inferior, wound ballistics wise, to the larger diameter Foster slugs.

Good luck on whatever you do.

Cheers!
Old August 20, 2006, 06:12 PM   #3
olywa

Thanks for the info and ideas. I actualy want to get a barrel with a cantilever base on it so I can just swap barrels and go from birds to beasts. I had heard that rifled barrels gave the best accuracy but as I remember they were shooting out to 100 yards and a little beyond.

I've only reloaded brass pistol cartridges in the past but I'm still interested in building some slug loads if the rewards are worth the investment. Any tips on getting started in shotshell reloading? I've got a couple of manuals with the basics but they don't get too much into slugs.