The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 15, 2006, 02:10 AM   #1
1950ric

Location: Southern California (Couldn't move out of the South)
Stevens ID help

I've got a Stevens Model 940A 410. So I've had this shotgun since 1962--Christmas Present from my Dad. I've shot many, many boxes through it and it is sweet. I recently started collecting C&R's and I thought I would drag everything out and spiff it up. I'm creating this log of my trophies and looking for serial numbers. In all these years I never noticed that my old shotgun did not have a serial number. I've looked everywhere on this piece and can only find the manufacturer and model #. Except for the bottom of the barrel there is a "PD-1" and the "&". On the inside of the receiver is "PD1". Is this the number? This gun was bought new at a hardware store where my Dad worked so the numbers were not ground off. Can anyone shed some light on this.
Thanks ric.
Old March 15, 2006, 04:10 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

About the Serial Number: Prior to 1968, ATF Ruling, guns did not require a serial number.. I can't seem to locate the 940 series. Do you have a photo?

HJN
Old March 15, 2006, 08:37 AM   #3
DAVID NANCARROW

I grew up on a Stevens 940Y which was a 20 gauge. Good beginners shotgun for kids. I really like the side release for the barrel. Mine does not have a serial number either. The adult model is the 94
Old March 16, 2006, 01:00 AM   #4
1950ric

Location: Southern California (Couldn't move out of the South)
I will try to get pics as soon as I get my camera. I just ordered a 20ga and a 16ga barrel and a larger foreend to fit my little gun. I would like to get a 12ga. Do the Model 94 barrels fit the 940 receiver? The only difference I see in the two guns is the stock and receiver. The extractor, barrel latching and foreend latch looks the same on the diagrams at Savage Shotgun Parts. The other configuration looks to be a screw on forend etc.

I could not find any links to the model 940 either. I like the barrel release on the side because I have had a couple of bad experiences with top releases and the web between thumb and forefinger. OUCH!! Everyone that shoots this little 940 likes it. I'm anxious to use the 20ga.

Thanks for the info so far. Later, Ric