The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2013, 11:17 PM   #1
KCRaider21

Cleaning brass

If you clean your brass with water and dish soap do you need to remove the primers first? Will the rust if left in? I have brass that needs cleaned but don't have the dies yet to remove the primers.
Old April 2, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Primers are generally plated brass, so they shouldn't rust. I would still dry the cases very well once you're done cleaning them, though.
Old April 3, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
rlc323

I always knock out the primers before using my ultrasonic (soap and water with lemi-shine) so the primer pocket gets clean, and you are assured the spent primer holds no moisture.

Real dirty cruddy picked up brass gets the Lee universal depimer die then cleaned in the ultrasonic, then lubed, re-sized and trimmed.

Brass from my bolt-action that never hit the ground get lubed, resized, de-primed, and trimmed. Then cleaned in the ultrasonic and dried.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:16 AM   #4
BusterValentine

Try using white vinegar. It's cheap and effective.

I know you're antsy to get started but I would wait until your die(s) arrive.

I deprime, lube and size the cases before cleaning to make sure the primer pockets get clean and to remove the case lube (powder sticks to it). With range brass (most of what I use) I also use a primer pocket cleaner right before the cases go into the vinegar.

After letting them sit in vinegar for ~30min with regular stirring/shaking I either set them out to dry overnight or pop them in the oven at the lowest temp for 30-40 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I also thoroughly rinse with water after the vinegar and before drying.

Last edited by BusterValentine; April 5, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 04:33 AM   #5
trobin

I tumble in Lyman treated corn cob a few hours. Resize, clean pockets, and tumble again. May be overkill but oh well. Really dirty range brass gets dawn and hot water before the above mentioned process.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

I washed brass for over a year before I started reloading.

Use dish soap and water, with a couple of table spoons of vinegar. I put mine in wide mouthed Gatoade bottles, and shook like no tomorrow, then Poured them in a strainer to rinse. I put them on a towell in the sun to dry for a couple of days or more. Do not worry about a few spots from the water. They will still work just fine. Pretty does not make it shoot any better.