The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
shafter

Question about chamber adapters

Does anyone here have experience with shotgun chamber adapters? I was thinking something like this would be cool.

http://www.gunadapters.com/products/...-adapter..html

For that price I'm not expecting too much but what would you expect accuracy to be like? Doable for small game such as rabbits and squirrels? Both the 38 special and 22lr intrigue me.
Old February 17, 2013, 11:37 AM   #2
BigJimP

In my opinion - you would be lucky to hit something the size of a Basketball at 15 Feet....with these things..../ there is a reason they're cheap !!

...and worthless in my opinion
Old February 17, 2013, 09:58 PM   #3
111t

I have the 8" .22 adapter. It definitely adds some extra function. I find I can reliably hit a 3" circle at 25 yards. It's nothing to brag about from a dedicated rifle, but its ok considering there aren't proper sights on my shotgun. I've gotten a mixed reaction when showing it to my friends. Some people think its really neat, while others like jim think they're a waste of time.
Old February 18, 2013, 03:29 AM   #4
Dreaming100Straight

Never used one but think it might be okay as part of a survival kit for some
Old February 20, 2013, 12:59 PM   #5
BigJimP

There are way too many - other good options out there....for rimfire or center fire calibers ( in handguns or rifles )....and relatively inexpensive...

and I'm really surprised that 111t says he can hit a 3" circle at 25 yds with a rimfire adapter....the 8" long adapter must stabilize the bullet way more than I expected...
Old February 23, 2013, 02:41 AM   #6
olddrum1

If I have not owned, shot, or had one I usally do not comment. In this case though I think BJP is prettty much spot on. They would be fun the first time out but then into the desk drawer for the next ten years. Website says pie plate accuracy at 20 yards. The fun would be guessing were it hits next.
Charlie
Old February 23, 2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Virginian

I do not own any, don't see any real need/use for them, but I have shot them. Why would they not be as accurate as a .22 pistol as far as the ability to produce groups? Of course, you would have to make sure you inserted them exactly the same way every time to get close. A guy I know had I believe it was a .38/,357 adapter in a 20 gauge single shot slug gun with rifle sights, and he was getting an easy 3" at 25 yards. Another guy with a bead and a .22 was getting about 5" or so. One advantage was it sure was quieter than a handgun.