The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
led0321

Titegroup for a Newbie

After reading a lot of comments on here and several other places I can see and understand how titegroup can be dangerous.

I screwed up and ordered 8 pounds of it.

I will just have to be extra careful and I don't even mind if I have to measure each charge. I do that for my .308 anyway and it doesn't take me to long.

For those that know is this a safe alternative?
Old February 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #2
JHLL

I wouldnt say you screwed up. Titegroup is a great powder. Just be diligent on checking for double charges.
Old February 20, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
dos0711

Good advice not matter what powder your using.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:03 AM   #4
spacecoast

I started off with Titegroup and have gone through about 5 +/- pounds of it so far using dippers. Just be careful (as with all reloading) and you will be fine. Most powders can be double-charged if you are careless. It's much more about procedures and technique than powder.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:50 AM   #5
rlc323

When loading for handgun Titegroup has enough volume that a double charge would be noticeable when you look over your rounds after charging.

The method of using a flashlight to view each charged case in the loading block will work fine for you.

I load it for 12ga loads and with a MEC progressive you don't "see" the charge. The chance of a screw-up causing a double charge is low, but with the small volume of the powder under the wad a double charge could be loaded and not indicated by any issue with wad seating or shot drop and crimp.

Know thyself. If you are careful (and it sounds like you are) then you have not screwed up in any way. Titegroup is great powder and perfectly safe when used right.

That said, I used to sell a few 12ga. components to trapshooters locally. There were a few fellows at our club that I would not sell Titegroup just because of the poor reputation of their reloads.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:38 AM   #6
bluetopper

Just watch what you're doing and don't double charge and you'll be fine.

Be extra careful if you're using TG in magnum revolver calibers.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:46 AM   #7
CrustyFN

Titegroup is the powder I stsrted with and I still have most of my fingers, just kidding. Like others said pay close attention to what you are doing from start to finish. You should be doing that any way with any powder. Look in every case before you set the bullet on.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Gster

I started reloading 9mm and .40 with Titegroup and I like it. The first thing I did when I started charging cases was double charge one to see what it looked like. You can def. see the difference. Look them all over before you start seating bullets and you will be fine. You can load a lot of ammo with 8 pounds of Titegroup.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Japle

I don’t see why Titegroup would be any more dangerous than any other pistol powder. I’ve used it extensively for 9mm, .45ACP and .38 Short Colt loads. I never weigh individual charges with Titegroup. I throw 10 charges in the pan and if the total is within 0.2 gr of what I want, that’s fine. I’ve been using that method for many years and many tens of thousands of rounds. Titegroup meters very well through my ancient RCBS Uniflow. It’s really consistent.

As others have said, check the powder level in each case. I have a strong light mounted above my press so I can see into the cases.
Old February 21, 2013, 11:56 AM   #10
BigJimP

TiteGroup wouldn't be my first suggestion for a new loader...unless your press has a "powder check" or "powder cop" die installed in it...( like on a Hornaday LNL or a Dillon 650 ) ....

The reason TiteGroup can be an issue is its such a "low volume" powder and the minimums and maximums are often only 0.4 grain apart....so you just have to be careful...because its easy to get too much variation that might cause you a problem.

A light or mirror to help you look into a case is a good idea....but your eye probably cannot pickup a variation of 0.2 grain...or even 0.4 grain with TiteGroup even in a 9mm case..../ so that's why, for new loaders, most of us would recommend a powder like Hodgdon Universal that fills a larger volume in a case - making it more apparent you have a problem.

But it can be used safely ...follow good proceduers, keep your bench clean and organized...pay attention / and probably limit yourself to sessions at the bench of no more than 1 hour at a time...all the little stuff to make sure you're focused.....mistakes happen as you get tired, get in a hurry, happen when you get complacent with a repetitive action..../ so you need to guard against all those kinds of things.../ not that all of us shouldn't do the same thing...but as a new loader / or on a press without a powder check die, they become more critical in my opinion.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:58 PM   #11
mikld

Develope good, safe, reloading habits now, and you can use any powder available on the market today (not counting current shortages). Do your research and you'll find several methods to avoid double charges (un-charged brass kept in one loading block/charged brass moved to another block, un-charged brass kept upside down, charged brass mouth up, un-charged brass in a pile beside powder measure and charged brass put in block, bullet seated/started immediately, before puting the case down, ect.). I've een reloading a lot of years and my mistakes in 1969 taught me to use methods that I still use today...

Like a bunch of fellers I use Titegroup and the only "danger" I see is the charge tollerance is narrow, some times just .3 grain between low and max. I have a good powder measure (C-H) that is real consistant and I start with starting loads and weigh/check often if I use a "touchy" powder.

Go slow, double check everything and enjoy! You'll be fine...

Last edited by mikld; February 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:05 PM   #12
BigJimP

I know you meant 0.3 grain ....not 3 grains....
Old February 21, 2013, 02:59 PM   #13
Sevens

I will add another vote that the "danger" of Titegroup isn't that it takes up so little space (leaving you open to a double charge), it's the fact that it is a very fast burning powder and if used in the wrong places -- in places where it is far from it's best, it can lead to dangerous results.

I'll put these thoughts another way:

-Don't be scared of Titegroup simply because it's not bulky and might "allow" you to double or triple charge a case. There are maybe a dozen other powders on the market right now that can EASILY do the same thing.

-Titegroup can get you in to trouble (as can -ANY- very fast burning powder) if you attempt to use it in large volume, high pressure magnum rounds like .357, .41 and .44 Magnum or bigger. Using a very fast powder in a round like these takes it well out of it's comfort zone and returns LESS velocity all the while showing full-bore pressure and perhaps most dangerous is that the pressure curve on the top end increases at an alarming rate and can be very unpredictable. All the wear & tear on your firearm--while returning significantly less performance.

Conclusion: there's nothing wrong with the 8lbs of Titegroup you bought as long as you are using proper methods and using it in a role suited to the powder.

If you are really sure that you don't want to use it... take it to any gun show and I'm sure that some folks will be tripping over themselves to buy it from you.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Japle

I just re-read the OP. You mentioned the .308. Please tell us you're not thinking of using TG in a .308!!
Old February 21, 2013, 06:38 PM   #15
LSnSC

I'll buy it if you dont want it. Ive reloaded thousands of rounds with it and havent blown myself or my gun up yet. Pay attention and you will be fine.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:48 PM   #16
Pilot

I've been using Titegroup pretty regularly for 9MM, and .45 ACP without issues. It is a good powder, just pay attention and follow what some of the others have said.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:51 PM   #17
m&p45acp10+1

TiteGroup is a good powder for using for handgun loads with jacketed bullets. Do not try to use it as a rifle powder. If you need rifle powder then try to find someone that will trade your for a powder that you can use for your rifle.

If it is for .380 Auto pistol rounds then it should work just fine.
Old February 21, 2013, 06:56 PM   #18
led0321

Re: Titegroup for a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japle View Post
I just re-read the OP. You mentioned the .308. Please tell us you're not thinking of using TG in a .308!!
No just pistol

I was saying that I weigh every charge for my 308 anyway so I don't mind doing it with the pistol

Sent using Tapatalk
Old February 21, 2013, 07:06 PM   #19
m&p45acp10+1

If you have a volumetric powder measure it should meter the powder just fine. My Lee Perfect Powder Measure will drop charges of it right on the money every time. Just make sure you do not double charge your cases.

As a note what kind of press, and measure are you using?

If a single stage then put the empty, primed, flared brass in a bowl with an empty loading block near. Once you have your powder measure set up to throw the charge you want take a case out. Turn it upside down, and put it into your powder funnel. Now put it upright, and under the powder measure. Work the handle to dispense the powder. Put the case in the block. Repeat till all in the block are charged. If you want to be extra careful then weigh every 5 to 10 charges. When the block is full look into every case to be sure there is powder in them all, and that none look like they have way more powder inside than the others. After checking that start seating bullets.
Old February 21, 2013, 09:11 PM   #20
led0321

Re: Titegroup for a Newbie

Just a single stage, the Hornady lock and load kit

Sent using Tapatalk
Old February 21, 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
kgpcr

I love Titegroup! I use it in my .38 and .45 and it works great. ANY powder can be dangerous if not used properly. Bullseye is also a very fast burning powder and thousands of tons of it have been used over the years with no problems for those who use it properly.
Smith M&P 40
Old February 21, 2013, 09:21 PM   #22
zxcvbob

Titegroup does OK in rimless cartridges with jacketed or plated bullets. I don't have anything good to say about it in revolver cartridges with cast bullets, other than it will work if that's all you have.

8 pounds is gonna last you a long time. I'm still working on an 8 lb jug of Promo I bought almost 10 years ago.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:37 AM   #23
totaldla

It is a super dense flake powder the color of soot. It hides in large cases. It has surpassed Bullseye as the #1 powder for blowing up weapons - because people make mistakes and the mistake you can make with Titegroup is much worse than with bulkier powders.

On the other hand, it has a very high Nitro content and a very wide load range as the pressure increase remains linear. It meters well from my dillon, which is a good thing because it is very hard to eyeball variations.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Big Yac

I actually have tried Titegroup in a 454 Casull with a Speer 260 grain bullet. This is a published load. I kept it in the mid range and really wasnt impressed. The load shot ok but thats about all though recoil was low. I'll just stick with 296 for the big ones. I loaded the same bullet, powder combo in some 45 Colts. Again, nothing impressive though recoil was fairly low too. The best use I found for Titegroup was when I loaded some 45 ACPs with it. They shot well, accurate and recoil was fine. I dont hotrod, keeping mid range to warm loads. I also checked every loaded case. I used the rest of the pound on the 45 ACPs and really dont see myself getting anymore Titegroup.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:22 PM   #25
mikld

"I know you meant 0.3 grain ....not 3 grains.... "

Yep, fixed it, sorry.
This brings up one of the reasons I don't pay much attention to any load data on any forum, from any range rat, gun shop guru, or gun counter clerk. My forgetting a decimal point woucl possibly be a kaboom! for a new reloader that tried a 3 gr. overload of fast powder...

Last edited by mikld; February 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM.