The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
MrDontPlay

How do you sort 40 brass?

I've been picking up my brass for a while now. I have a box here, a half box there, bags of stuff I found on the range ect. With my revolver brass I can keep all of it so I keep it in the original box and reload them 50 at a time and put them back in the original box with load data writen on top. With my 40 I never find all my brass, and I often find other people's brass. Is it important to sort the brass? If so how do you sort yours?
Old April 5, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2
ScottRiqui

Other than culling out aluminum, steel, and obviously-damaged cases, I don't really do much sorting on my pistol brass.
Old April 6, 2012, 04:21 AM   #3
mumbo719

Quote:
ScottRiqui: Other than culling out aluminum, steel, and obviously-damaged cases, I don't really do much sorting on my pistol brass.
Pretty much the same here. I sort by caliber, and inspect every case for damage. Keep brass cases and discard the rest.
Old April 6, 2012, 04:42 AM   #4
TMD

I have two buckets for each caliber I reload. One is for the dirty brass and the other is for the clean brass.
Old April 6, 2012, 05:46 PM   #5
dacaur

+1, I dont sort any pistol brass..... For my .308 though, I have remington brass I bought as loaded ammo and only use that. When I pick up .308 off the ground, It goes in a separate bin, to be saved for the day I finally get my M1A....
Old April 6, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

You can sort it by head stamp. I just separate re-loadable from non-loadable. I trash the junk. It is good to separate by caliber while doing this.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Don P

1 piece at a time from the bucket of mixed 38 spl, 357 mag, 9 mm, 40S&W and 45 acp.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:40 PM   #8
huntinaz

Same here, for auto pistol brass I don't sort by headstamp.
Old April 6, 2012, 07:38 PM   #9
thedaddycat

I hand a bunch of brass over to my CDO (that's OCD but in alphabetical order...) teenager and she sorts it by caliber and headstamp for a penny a piece. She will sort out a couple thousand and even if there's only a single peice of brass of each of a dozen headstamps they will ecah be in their own bag, tin, cup or whatever she has on hand to sort into. That is unless I tell her to just sort all the .38 Special or .357 magnum or whatever by caliber and not by headstamp.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:03 PM   #10
jepp2

Quote:
With my 40 I never find all my brass, and I often find other people's brass. Is it important to sort the brass? If so how do you sort yours?
For my 40 I sort by headstamps, but I may have a lot more brass on hand than you do. I would suggest you be cautious about picking up other people's brass unless you are sure it is factory. Many folks discard their brass when it is near the end of it's life and you may not want to load that. Brass fired in some pistols with large chambers or inadequate chamber support may require special handling.

I don't necessarily feel it is required to sort by headstamp, but due to differences in neck thickness, I would prefer everything I am loading and shooting be similar for setback (neck tension) reasons.
Old April 6, 2012, 10:23 PM   #11
Miata Mike

I sort all Winchester in one bucket, and all other head stamps in another. There was a lot of Winchester white box shot around here last year.
Old April 6, 2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Huskerguy

I purchased a few thousand here and there and after sizing I check with a case gauge to find the brass shot in a Glock. I learned this the hard way.
Old April 7, 2012, 08:01 AM   #13
Rangefinder

Not much point in sorting pistol brass. As stated, pick out the aluminum, steel, and the ones that are obviously damaged, and roll with it--that can all happen at the depriming stage anyway. The closest I do to sorting pistol brass is yellow brass gets loaded solid and nickle gets loaded Hollow-point. And the ONLY reason for that is for quick recognition in the box or at a glance because I have a dozen or so loaded spare mags.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 7, 2012, 10:48 AM   #14
CrustyFN

I sort it out from all the other calibers and then give it to friends that shoot 40.
Old April 7, 2012, 10:50 AM   #15
buck460XVR

Quote:
I sort it out from all the other calibers and then give it to friends that shoot 40.
..........same here.
Old April 7, 2012, 12:26 PM   #16
huntinaz

Quote:
I sort all Winchester in one bucket, and all other head stamps in another. There was a lot of Winchester white box shot around here last year
I used to do the same thing. My reasoning was that I would load the win brass and know it was mine. The other stuff I picked up I'd sell, since I was picking up more than I was shooting. Just a way of seperating once fired from stuff I'd possibly reloaded many times. After Obama was elected though, I don't find much. Everone has started picking it up. Bummer.
Old April 7, 2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Latesvak

All I tend to do is clean and inspect all the casings and check for splits and cracks then it all goes in the to be loaded bucket. Other peoples brass it just all stays together just check them ALL.

Latesvak
Old April 7, 2012, 09:04 PM   #18
MikeRussell

I sort in to two coffee containers...
1) Winchester brass
2) everything else

I do load development and match ammo in Winchester brass. Everything else is used for range practice.
Old April 7, 2012, 09:45 PM   #19
Jim243

Quote:
Is it important to sort the brass? If so how do you sort yours?
It's important to sort it out from the 45 ACP and 9mm brass, otherwise I just load them and shoot them.

Jim
Old April 8, 2012, 08:39 PM   #20
MrDontPlay

Thanks guys!
Old April 10, 2012, 08:16 AM   #21
WESHOOT2

specifically

For the 40 S&W, I sort like this:

-I have new unfired cases; I load them by brand (and size them before using).

-I have confirmed once-fired-only; I used many, sorted by brand, when manufacturing cop training ammo.

-I have 'used' cases, and sort by headstamp, and use ONLY for easy-shooting loads.
Old April 10, 2012, 10:16 AM   #22
RobertInIowa

Just sort the good from the bad. If you're not shooting competitively then there's no need to sort further.
Old April 10, 2012, 02:58 PM   #23
thump_rrr

If the brass looks a little Glocked I'll pass it through the Lee Bulge Buster.
If it looks really Glocked I flatten it for scrap.

The last thing I need is a ruptured case.
Old April 10, 2012, 07:08 PM   #24
thedaddycat

OK, I don't have anything chambered in .40 Smith and all the range brass I pick up gets passed on to a friend who does. What's the deal with Glocks? I take it they're hard on brass. What's the big cult following if they're so hard on brass that you can't (or probably can't) reload? Is it that they're just a "rich man's" gun?

On a side note, I've seen a post or two here where someone's using .40 brass and swageing lead into it to make bullets for I think .44 cal. I do know that if a .40 case gets into one of my .44 mag cases it fits tighter than the "9 in 40 in 45" combo...
Old April 10, 2012, 11:24 PM   #25
deepcore

Unsupported chamber...."Glock bulge"...see thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475906