The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1
E.J.W.

Remy 700 BDL mag box

I bought a Boyds laminated stock for my 700 BDL in 243 Winchester. I have been trying to get a perfect fit to the action and barrel but the magazine box/liner binds against the trap door and the housing for the trap door will not fit into the recessed area of the stock. I intend to bed the action but need to find out the correct method for fitting the mag box first. I read an article in some magazine awhile back (CRS) about the mag boxes and when they don't fit right it can mess with accuracy.
Any thoughts?
E.
Old March 14, 2011, 11:18 PM   #2
NESHOOTER

EJW, I had a simular prob from changing out a 700 remy ADL and rep with a Blackhawk stock and I had to order a different factory mag box after I ordered a replacement BDL the new one fit perfect.
Old March 14, 2011, 11:20 PM   #3
NESHOOTER

It could be the orginal box is too long and I did attempt to shorten but did not work to my desire so I ordered new and it solved the prob
Old March 15, 2011, 07:41 PM   #4
E.J.W.

I agree that the box appears to be too tall for the Boyds stock.I don't think it's more that a 1/8" that if removed would make it fit nice. I guess i'll go that route and "grind" it down a bit and see what happens.
Thanks
E.
Old March 15, 2011, 10:17 PM   #5
NESHOOTER

Yes, you have nothing to lose I attempted that and got it to fit but I did not care for the way it fed from the mag, it got sticky feeling sometime.
Old March 17, 2011, 06:39 AM   #6
E.J.W.

I'm more concerned with the fit of the action to the stock so I can bed this setup before woodchuck season starts. For hunting chucks, I hardly ever load the magazine. I prefer to just drop the rounds into the chamber one at a time. With the opening of rifle use for deer in the southern counties now, I will be going for deer with this same rifle so I may need to load the magazine for that shooting.
Thanks
E.