The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 23, 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Booker_B.

best feeding 10/22 clip

Hi I was woundering what your opinion is on what clip feeds the best for the ruger 10/22? Thanks
Old March 23, 2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

By far, the Ruger factory mag.

I've tried a number of the aftermarket mags, and none but the original were what I'd call reliable.

Sorry I can't remember what the other brands were; those went in the circular file a long time ago.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old March 23, 2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Logs

Eagle mags

I have always had luck with EAGLE mags. I just picked up 3 more the other day for $9.99 each. Ramlines have been the only ones that didn't like my 10/22. I have one Butler Creek that works well also.

Old March 23, 2006, 08:57 PM   #4
BIGR

I have tried the Ramline mags and had a jam about every two or three rounds. Hard to beat the factory mags.
Old March 23, 2006, 10:27 PM   #5
Booker_B.

Thanks for all your opinions, I have a Butler Creek 25-rounder that works OK, I think I'll try a eagle.
Old March 23, 2006, 11:04 PM   #6
9mm_prn

I have a couple of butler creek mags, one has steel lips and they both suck in my gun. Best feeding are by far the factory mags. I would however like to try one of the higher capacity mags that sort of resemble the factory mags. Maybe we'll hear from someone who has one.
Old March 24, 2006, 12:21 AM   #7
kozak6

The Tactical Innovations magazines are supposed to be quite good, although a little expensive.
Old March 24, 2006, 01:24 AM   #8
almark

Apparently my 10/22 is different from most, because I've had the best luck with 10-round eagle mags, and absolutely none of my ruger factory mags have fed reliably. Actually, with the factory mags, it's not my gun's fault, it's a problem with the magazine. Often the spring will not push the next round up to the feed port and the whole works gets jammed, and I'll end up with a potentially explosive baby rattle that I have to disassemble to unload. What has worked (somewhat) is cleaning the mag VERY well and really twisting the heck out of the mag spring before reassembly (in other words, winding it as tight as I can get it).
Old March 24, 2006, 04:46 AM   #9
Rimrock

As Capt Charlie said the Ruger Mags are the most reliable. They can be disassembled for tuning and cleaning. However for that barrel melting experience that only a hi cap can provide the metal hi cap mags will generally out perform the plastic variety.
I'd say:
Factory mags
BC Metal Lips
BC Hot Lips (plastic)
Eagle (plastic)

Ramline's good for throwing at critters if you want 'em to laugh themselves to death.

The Tachtical Innov. is supposed to be very nice. However it doesn't come cheap!

Rimrock

Old March 24, 2006, 06:25 AM   #10
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
10/22 magazines worth having
in order
1. Factory Ruger 10-rd rotary
2. Eagle, black and smoke (not amber) 30-rd
3. Butler Creek Steel Lips 25-rd, with extractor located on magazine
4. Ram-Line 30-rd SINGLE COLUMN, in:
all clear plastic,
one clear, one black
all smoke,
all amber
(NOT: all black)
5. Butler Creek Hot Lips, no ejector (fragile though)
6. Bingham Steel Magazine, with some adjustment

BAD 10/22 mags:
- all black ramline 30-rd single column
- amber Eagle 30-rd single column
- ALL Ramline double column mags (all capacities and colors)
- Sanford/Eaton 50-rd drums
- Mitchell 50-rd tear drop drums
- Eaton 25-rd stick mags
- Condor 30-rd mags
Old March 24, 2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Leif

I've had the best luck with the factory magazines. If they stick/jam up a little, which they sometimes do when dirty, squirt some Break-free in there; that seems to take care of the problem.
Old March 24, 2006, 09:51 AM   #12
Edward429451

I like the Factory mags the best, then the nod goes to the Eagle mags, then Butler Creek which are so so and the Ramline mags are crap IME,

The Ruger factory mags do come apart and go together easily for cleaning. The main screw/pin is just like the shellplate on a Dillon 550 and adjusts the same way for tension sans setscrew. I was scared of taking them apart for a long time thinking I'd not be able to get it back together right but its a snap. Put em back together clean & dry on the inside.
Old March 28, 2006, 01:05 AM   #13
Rimrock

For the Ruger stock mag lovers there are these!
This is a dual but they are available in a quad variety.
Work well!

Rimrock
Old April 4, 2006, 05:02 AM   #14
270Win

I prefer Butler Creek Steel Lips over the factory mag, actually.

I've had more jams with the factory rotary mag using maybe six different types of ammo than anything else. Never tried the Ramline though, based solely on terrible word-of-mouth. When you see total stranger walk by the Ramline mags at a gun show, muttering things to themselves like "total junk" and "cheap crap" ... you know it's time to look elsewhere.

My Eagle mags and Butler Creek mags have performed admirably. I'm not sure what to blame the occasional problems of the rotary mag on... it's not frequent enough to even concern me in more than a passing way, but if faced with a Steel Lips and a factory mag in the same capacity for the same price, I'd take the Butler Creek every day of the week. For all I know, it could be just bad ammo that happens to go through the factory mag instead of the others, sheer chance...