The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 10, 2014, 09:04 AM   #1
Rogervzv

Sig P238 HD Range Report

Took my new Sig Sauer P238 HD to the range Sunday. Put 250 rounds through it without a single misfire. The P238 HD is an all-steel .380 subcompact. It comes with one flush-mount 6 round magazine. I picked up 4 more 7 round magazines from Brownell's. These magazines have a pinky rest and make the gun much handier to hold and shoot.

Accuracy-wise the gun's fixed sights were properly aligned for shooting targets at 8.5 yards. The gun features large three-dot night sights that make for quick target acquisition and accurate shooting if you do your part (see below).

The gun is challenging to shoot. My first magazine of 7 rounds fired at a 4 inch target at 8.5 yards yielded 1 hit and 6 misses. I was very discouraged until I realized that I was jerking the trigger. After I began focusing on good trigger control I started getting consistent hits. Perhaps it is the short sight radius, but I cannot recall another pistol that was more demanding of good trigger control, i.e. a calm squeeze of the trigger rather than an excited jerky trigger pull. Of course, good trigger control is important when firing any firearm.

By the time I had fired a hundred rounds or so I was getting the hang of the gun and putting all 7 rounds into a 4 inch target. I can now shoot the gun with confidence. This will be one of my carry guns.
Old June 10, 2014, 09:54 AM   #2
TailGator

It often takes a few minutes to get used to a new pistol, especially little pocket pistols. There is nothing wrong at all with moving the target in, especially at first, in order to see where your misses are going, whether you have a group and where it is, etc. For a lot of shooters, a 4 inch target at 25 feet is asking a lot, especially with a pocket gun.

My wife has a different model of the P238, and it took us each a few minutes to get used to it, but it really is one of the more accurate and easy shooter among the pocket .380s, IMO. Congrats on a nice little pistol. My bet is that it will serve you well for a long time.
Old June 10, 2014, 08:21 PM   #3
Rogervzv

Tail Gator I agree with all of your comments. Yes, there was certainly a necessary period of my getting acquainted with the gun. For the record, I was shooting very well with it at 25 feet after several magazines. And the gun functioned absolutely perfectly at all times. By the way, I was shooting inexpensive commercially remanufactured .380 bulk ammo, so nothing special as regards the ammo.