The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 16, 2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Richard Simmons

Cap & Ball sizes for a Remington

Just got my first C&B today, unfired Pietta 1858, Remington, .44 cal through a private sale. Which caps should I be buying, #10 or #11? And should I use .451 or .454 ball? TIA

P.S. I did mic the chambers at .440-.441. Using a .451 ball seemed like it would be OK but wasn't sure it was oversize enough, if you know what I mean?
Old May 16, 2008, 08:35 PM   #2
hillbille

richard, if you are going to use felt wads over powder,under ball, you should go with the .454 just for safety the more lead ring you can cut the tighter the seal you can get, less likely of chain fire, as per the caps it will be trial error but I would go with #11 and maybe pinch them a bit to get a tighter fit.
Old May 16, 2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Raider2000

Man small world we all are not real far from each other..

Back to Topic.

Richard, are you sure that the chamber sizes were what you got?
Reason I'm asking is that both of my Pietta 1858's "a 23 year old & a new one" both mike out to .4485-.4490 & the barrels slug out to a nice .4485.

With both of mine I would suggest .454 ball this way like hillbillie said it'll cut a good ring of lead out apaun loading into the chambers & make for a good seal, I personally use Cast .457 ball in all my C&B revolvers but that is my preference.
I would also suggest the wads between the powder charge & ball to help in powder fouling & chain fire prevention.

As far as caps go, both of mine like the Remington #11's but my 23 year old has 5 year old nipples on it but I don't remember that far back if it used #10's any like my 1860 does, but like hillbillie said as well the #11 will work even if you have to squeeze the cap slightly to make it fit tight but otherwise you'll have to give em a try to see which is the better fit.

I will say that unless it is hard to come by in your area both of my 1858's like real Black Powder more so than Pyrodex in accuracy & punch.
Old May 16, 2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Richard Simmons

Thanks to both of you. Those are the readings I got with my micrometer. I've only checked at Sportsmans Warehouse but they didn't have any BP just 777 and Pyrodex.

I'll be doing some shopping tomorrow. Any thoughts/recommendations on a flask and or measure?
Old May 17, 2008, 05:07 AM   #5
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Simmons
Thanks to both of you. Those are the readings I got with my micrometer. I've only checked at Sportsmans Warehouse but they didn't have any BP just 777 and Pyrodex.

I'll be doing some shopping tomorrow. Any thoughts/recommendations on a flask and or measure?
No probs.

As far as a flask goes, there are a lot of designs to go by like a more traditional one like this one if you wanted to make a cased set or one Like I have which is great at the bench because it stands up & is easier to load powder into it the choice is yours.

I would suggest a measure like this one because if you did get into shooting rifles then you would already have a measure that can handle both chores.

One thing I would suggest though is to get some of these speed loaders where you can have your powder & ball preloaded & ready for the range & this way you don't have to spend so much time on the loading block & more time in the shooting line.

Lastly I would suggest a few of these inline cappers for the same reason as the speed loaders.
Old May 17, 2008, 06:54 AM   #6
Deadguy

Slug your bore, and measure the diameter of the slug at its widest point. This is what you need your chamber diameter to be (or slightly larger) for your revolver to shoot nicely. At .440", that sounds very undersized, my Pietta Remington has a .452" barrel. mscdirect.com has reamers, or you can have your cylinder reamed by your local gunsmith, or several places online wil also do, such as http://www.bpstuffllc.com or http://cylindersmith.com .
Old May 17, 2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Richard Simmons

Thanks again. A friend already sent me a care package with 18-20 of those speed loaders and a capper, as well as cleaning rod with barrel and chambe jags.
Heading to Gander Mountain after while and see what they have for BP accessories.

Oh, what are you all using for protectant after cleaning?
Old May 17, 2008, 08:56 AM   #8
JayC

In-line cappers will score the nipple recesses on a Remington. I have relieved the recesses to get rid of the scoring and provide more access, as well as taken a little off the edges of the capper (especially the spring). I intend to test the new fit this weekend, but I expect there will still be a little scratching. Just the nature of the Remington's cylinder.
Old May 18, 2008, 11:42 PM   #9
Ifishsum

For protectant after cleaning I usually use extra virgin olive oil. I've read that it can go rancid over long periods, so far I've not let it set long enough between shootings to have run into that problem. Bore Butter works as well.

Have fun shooting!