The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 4, 2006, 05:54 PM   #1
smince

Suppressor for Mechtech CCU

I'm toying with taking the LEGAL paperwork plunge and getting LEGAL approval for a LEGAL suppressor for my .45ACP CCU. I'm not sure if I would need the barrel threaded, or is there perhaps a coupler to attach to the barrel for the suppressor to mate with? Who are the reputable companies to check with?

Thanks
Old March 4, 2006, 07:30 PM   #2
shaggy

I'm not real familiar with the Mechtech CCU, but if the barrel is fixed, suppressing it should be easy. You can get a suppressor with threads or a quick change system like a 3-lug mount (usually only for 9mm though) or something like the new Posi-Lock quick detach mount Gemtech is using on their new .45 UMP suppressor. Either way, the barrel will need some modification to accomodate the suppressor.

I'd recommend you take a look at .45 handgun and .45 SMG suppressors. As long as the barrel is fixed, you won't need anything with a Nielson device (a spring driven device that attaches to the can to ensure proper cycling). Check out these manufacturers...

www.gem-tech.com
www.swrmfg.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Old March 4, 2006, 08:21 PM   #3
smince

Thanks Shaggy. The CCU barrel is a 16" Jarvis match 1911 barrel, but fixed. No swinging link, on a blowback carbine upper for the 1911(mine) or the Glock.

www.mechtechsys.com

I wasn't sure of the reputable companies to look for.
Old March 4, 2006, 09:26 PM   #4
shaggy

Gemtech is really top notch stuff and their customer service is second to none. AAC is also quite good, but they recently had a steep price increase and I've heard a few complaints about their customer service. SWR also makes excellent cans though I've not heard anything (good or bad) about their customer service.

Personally, I'd recommend you start with Gemtech. Their products are very good and if you ever have a problem you can rest assured it'll be taken care of quickly and professionally. I don't own a Gemtech can, but a good friend of mine has two and anytime he's called Gemtech with a question or problem Doc Dater answers the phone himself and takes as much time as my buddy needed.