The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 20, 2010, 05:14 PM   #1
velocette

I hurt!

As in pain. Some of you may recall my discussing the sporterizing of a 1917 Enfield 30-06 rifle in past posts here.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=1917+enfield

Well I's been workin. I've been filing, grinding, cutting, sanding, (buying, buying, buying) and have made some progress. At this point, I have a walnut stock that was supposed to be inletted but is - - - charitably, really semi inletted. That means it looks good but nothing fits. I have spent hours removing wood to allow the action / barrel to fit into the stock. Much more work to clearance everything. (This is with the intention of free floating the barrel and epoxy bedding the action which should be easy - - -NOT)
I had some work done on the bolt to straighten the dogleg bolt handle and to weld the bolt handle ball back on the straigtened & shortened bolt handle and to weld together the straightened magazine floorplate. Well the welder did not do such a good job. and cost me more work to repair his "work" than it was worth. Porosity in the welds and only one side welded on the floorplate. I could do better with a stick welder blindfolded & drunk.
The good side is that I when I finished cleaning out the barrel of the rifle, (It took a while, was full of copper & other fouling.), the bore was bright and shiny with no visible wear, no throat erosion and no muzzle wear. The rifle had been re-barrelled some time in the distant past and not shot much (nor cleaned) afterwards. Headspace is good. I bought and installed an aftermarket trigger and cock on opening kit. Works like a champ and has about a 2 1/2lb trigger.

The result of all this work is my hands hurt, my arm hurts, my feet hurt and my wallet hurts.
BUT! the rifle progresses. I think that by summer of 2011, I may be able to put a couple of rounds through my new / old rifle - - that is if my arthritic hands hold out. I'm now filing on the back of the receiver to match the front of the receiver - - much much high quality US GI steel to remove!
Folks, I'd post some pictures, but it looks so poor now, I'd just embarrass myself and you if I did. Perhaps in a month or so when some real progress can be seen. By the way, many thanks to the very nice and knowledgable folks at Brownells. They are the best!

Roger

PS: I received today, a letter of appreciation from the makers of Tylenol Arthritus formula pills. My project has improved their profitability!
Old November 20, 2010, 06:16 PM   #2
HiBC

Buying and selling guns will never give you the education you are getting right now.Get a tube of prussian blue.A pipe cleaner applies it well.Paint your steel,assemble,take it apart,see what is blue.Guessing where to cut is not good.
Have fun.
Old November 20, 2010, 07:22 PM   #3
velocette

HIBC;
Thass what I been doin'. I bought a spray can of Dykem Blue from Grainger. Works like a champ. Would that my hands worked as well.

Roger
Old November 20, 2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Charles Ellis

I sporterized a 1917 Enfield last year,and you are right about the money and time needed.I could have bought a new rifle for less,but then I wouldn't have had the experience of the remodel.I actually went a little backwards from some of your work.I started with a rifle that had a straightened triggerguard and replaced it with one that had the original profile.I did that because I didn't realise that the Bell and Carlson stock that I bought had that profile.It's a nice gun,tough as a boot,and shoots inch and a half groups at 100 yds.Good luck with yours.
Old November 20, 2010, 10:45 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Are you having fun yet?

Jim
Old November 20, 2010, 10:56 PM   #6
velocette

Am I having fun??? Well, it keeps out of the bars and off the streets. I suppose that is a benefit!

Roger