The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2015, 08:19 PM   #1
Texson

150 gr Hornaby sp interlocks safe in 30/30 lever?

I have performed a search for this but did not find my answer.

I thought I was getting flat points but for some reason picked up soft points.
Will the pointed tip be dangerous?
Old January 2, 2015, 09:14 PM   #2
Clark

They make flat nosed bullets for the 25-20, and every one seems to agree this is superfluous.

Some guy got a 475 alaska wildcat or something to go off ~15 years ago in a feed tube.

I have been watching the internet for 20 years, and I have not seen any definitive calculations nor testing to resolve these questions.

If I were to start to test, I would simulate the recoil a drop. And I would substitute something else for the powder.

MacFarland said his book that if you want to start an argument with gunsmiths, bring up firing pin shape. I would use a Win 1894 firing pin for a bullet at the bottom of the drop.

The books I am familiar with that simulate shock and vibration and calculate for design are by Steinberg.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old January 2, 2015, 09:32 PM   #3
rg1

Haven't seen any tests or explosions either but the rule is no spire point or pointed bullets in a tubular magazine. If one primer gets ignited they all will ignite? I'd wait on 30-30 bullets in flat points or round nosed. Also the new soft tipped "flex-tip" pointed bullets by Hornady .
Old January 3, 2015, 12:48 PM   #4
mikld

Use your levergun as a "Two Shooter"; one round in the chamber, one in the magazine. Use up all your spire points and next time make sure you get round nose or flat nose bullets so you can fully load your magazine...
Old January 3, 2015, 01:42 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

If the bullet tip is pointed, and smaller in diameter than the primer (which it essentially will be if it is pointed), and made of something harder than soft polymer plastic (lead counts and copper really is!) then there is a risk in conventional tubular magazines.

And, recoil of the fired round is NOT the only factor involved. Rounds in the magazine "bounce" fore and aft in the tube during recoil, AND they are under spring pressure at the same time. Remember that when you work the lever to feed the next round, the whole column of rounds in the tube slides back, driven by the mag spring, and comes to a sudden stop, also driving the bullet points against the primer of the round ahead.

The greater the recoil, the greater the risk, as well. .30-30 isn't a bad risk, but its still a risk. I heard of one fellow, who lost three fingers when a round fired in the tube of a .348 Win. According to what I heard, he had what he thought was a sufficiently safe bullet, but Murphy proved him tragically wrong.

For the trivial price and inconvenience of having to get a different box of bullets, I wouldn't risk it. Perhaps you might find someone willing to simply trade you for them.

Otherwise, if you must shoot them, do as others have advised, load no more than one in the mag, and one in the chamber.
Old January 4, 2015, 11:53 AM   #6
g.willikers

A lot of folks use cartridges with supposedly inappropriate bullets in tubular magazines.
Not out of ignorance, but because they are good choices when used with precaution.
For hunting purposes, the two round method is probably one more than will be necessary - or even possible on most game.
And for range time, that technique should satisfy, also.
The idea sure opens a lot of possibilities, doesn't it?