The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 3, 2007, 09:54 AM   #1
kjm

Krag and 03A3

Howdy!
Each Christmas my father disburses family guns to the kids. This year was a bonus year. I got an 03A3 in close to NRA New condition. The barrel is stamped RA 53 so I suppose that is the date of build. It has the C stock but no cartouches. The Stock is in close to new condition as is the bolt, action and rifle (I may have been the only person to ever fire the thing a few years ago). I would like the approximate value.

Another Gun which a sibling got that I want to make a fair-market value offer is the 1898 Krag-Jorgenson in NRA Good, by my untrained eye. The rifle was purchased by my grandfather in the 1930's from his Arms Room at Fort Sam Houston when they sold them to soldiers for $2.00 for hunting. I am certain of the origin and that this rifle is original. What would be the fair market value on that rifle?

Thanks for you help and let me know if there is anything else you need to make a determiniation like ser numbers.
Old January 3, 2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The 03A3 sounds like a pretty mixed up gun. They were not building bolt action rifles in 1953, a 53 barrel is likely a replacement made then. Don't see many "C" stocks on A3s, either. Lack of a cartouche makes it a replacement, too. CMP sold a lot of 03 and 03A3 rifles like that for $350-$500 a few years ago. But CMP is selling well worn salute and drill rifles for up to $500 now, so I would think it worth more on condition.

Here's a Krag on auction, there are probably others you can look to see the closing bid or buy it now price for.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=63291576