The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 29, 2012, 06:50 AM   #1
bamiller

Powder Storage In Measure?

Had a friend who's been reloading for quite a while tell me yesterday that storing powder in the powder measure for an extended period of time (a month or so) can cause the powder to loss its potentcy to the point where he has experienced squibs. Anyone else experienced this?
Old February 29, 2012, 08:27 AM   #2
griz

I haven't seen it affect the powder that I could tell, but it may well discolor the plastic in the measure. It's nice to be able to see the level of the powder and the discoloration prevents that.
Old February 29, 2012, 08:56 AM   #3
markr

Unless your powder measure is air tight, I wouldn't leave powder in there.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 29, 2012, 09:14 AM   #4
oneounceload

light and humidity are two of powder's biggest enemies - both readily available when stored in the powder measure....there's a reason it comes in airtight, lightproof containers
Old February 29, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5
markr

It's like brewing beer........light and air, bad.

Washed up 11B1P
Old February 29, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
AllenJ

I agree with everything above and I'll add that if you use more than one powder (of similar types) you risk mixing them. It's just not a good safety practice in my opinion.
Old February 29, 2012, 12:18 PM   #7
BigJimP

It depends a lot on your environment ...on where the press is ...how much humidity, sunlight, etc....

Leaving powder in the measure - will discolor the plastic on the measure .../ but only in extreme humidity or sunlight could I ever see it breaking down the powder to a point where you'll have ignition problems.

I'm reloading 9mm on my press right now ....( but its in my heated basement shop, avg temp around 68 degrees, humidity remains fairly constant year-round at about 60% ...and in my press, the powder measure will always have some powder in it ).

As a safety precaution ....I put a piece of masking tape on the front of the measure ...and label the Powder ..... Hodgdon Universal ...4.7 gr .../ and the bullet ...115 gr Montana Gold.... so its right there staring me in the face when I set down at the press / so I don't do something stupid ...like reach for the wrong powder container...or change bullets and not readjust everything.

I keep only 1 can of powder on my bench at one time ...if I'm loading Hodgdon Universal - then that is the only can out ..../ and I have to get up from my bench, go to my storage powder locker - and get something else...
so you can leave powder in a measure - if you're smart about your safety procedures....( I do have 7 or 8 kinds of powder ...so it would be possible for me to put the wrong powder into the measure)...

and yes, it discolors the plastic on the measures...even though I try to scrub them once in a while ( so when it gets bad -- I just replace the plastic tubes).

I tend to load in batches ...but right now I'm shooting a lot of 9mm ...so while I have about 20 boxes loaded and ready to go ...I just leave it setup for 9mm ...and load 5 or 6 boxes when I have a spare half hour. If I run out of a caliber ...like .357 mag, I noticed this am I'm down to about 12 boxes...so this weekend, I'll load up another 30 boxes or so of 9mm...and switch the press over to .357 mag ...load 20 boxes...and switch it back to 9mm probably. But I also have no kids running around ...my shop is locked when the grandkids are around ...my wife isn't going to go in there and disturb anything ...and if any of those factors were different / I'd change my procedures.
Old February 29, 2012, 04:39 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

The only time I leave powder in the measure is if it is late night, and I am going to be using it the next morning. I take several prcations when doing so. When I put powder in the measure I use a stick on pharmacy label on the lid I write down what poder it is, what I am loading for, and the weight I am using. The next morning after coffee, and breakfast. I go to my bench. I read the top of the lid. It reminds me what I was loading. When done I put the powder back in the can, and return it to the cabinet.

I am one of those lazy dudes. I empty the powder measure, and remove the label every time. No chances for mix ups that can be costly, both finacialy, and physicaly. It is a good thing to make a habbit of, and stay with that habbit. It is not just about powder degrading, or discoloring a measure. It is about safty. Imagine if I forgot I was using Bull's Eye the week before, and thought I had been using H-110 and loaded up a few .41 Mags with full cases. Empty the measure when you are done. It is not that big of a burden compared to the cost of a screw up.
Old February 29, 2012, 05:30 PM   #9
LarryFlew

May not be a problem but I do empty mine when done every time just in case.
Old February 29, 2012, 05:36 PM   #10
PawPaw

I empty my measure every time I finish with it. Every time. I empty it back into the one container that's on my bench, and put it away. That's my default setting, everything gets put away before I turn off the light over the bench.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 29, 2012, 05:47 PM   #11
SIGSHR

I recall an article by Skeeter Skelton years ago in which he loaded up some of his favorite 44 Special loads using Unique powder that he had left in his hopper for a while, the loads perfomed poorly, not much more than squibs, he looked at his powder hopper, said the plastic was discolored and slightly corroded. Ever since then he emptied his hopper after every reloading session.
Old February 29, 2012, 06:08 PM   #12
jepp2

I don't have any evidence that leaving powder in your measure will result in squibs and I used to be less disciplined about sometimes leaving powder in the measures (mostly shotshell). But I don't like the discoloration of the plastic because that means the powder is reacting with the plastic. And I really dislike the yellow tubes and have since replaced all that were discolored.

My current practice is to immediately empty the powder in the measure back into the powder canister right after I finish my last load. I also feel this is a safer practice since I always have control over what powder is in the measure. Only one powder canister on the bench at a time and back to storage after I finish the loading session. I realize labeling will identify the powder, but you just have to forget to change the label once and now you could have a big problem.

I am really surprised every response so far has been consistent at emptying the measure. My reason for saying this is because it seem like every picture I ever see posted of loading benches the plastic powder measure tubes are badly yellowed and there is always powder in them it seems.
Old February 29, 2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Slamfire

I think powder eats powder tubes. Mine are dark or yellow.

Gunpowder vents NOx gas as it ages, maybe that is what is bothering the powder tubes.

I have no idea what your bud did, it is best to keep gunpowder away from heat, light, water.
Old February 29, 2012, 06:47 PM   #14
bamiller

Just emptied my powder measure at the recommendation of most that posted. I only have one powder but better safe than sorry. Noticed a little, very little, bridging when tipping the measure to pour back in the Bullseye container. Glad my friend brought it up and it was confirmed here. New to reloading and didn't read that in any of my instructions.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:20 PM   #15
dacaur

Depends if its single base or double base.

Single base powders should NOT be left out.
Double base, still shouldn't, but it doesnt matter as much...

It has to do with the stuff mixed with the powder to make it pliable and hold its shape.

In single base powders its. ether-alcohol, or something similar. (most extruded powder are single base.)
In double base the ether-alcohol is not needed to to using nitroglycerin. (All ball and most flake powders are double base)

The ether-alcohol in single base powder can and does evaporate when left out, which will cause the powder to become brittle, at which point it can break down into smaller pieces, changing its burn characteristics, basicaly becomes a faster powder, which is not good if you are shooting max loads.... Dont do it.
Old March 1, 2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Uncle Buck

This came topic came up before. I had read heat, light and humidity are no good for powders.

I had a powder I did not like (I wish I could find the name of it) and decided I was not going to use again. I put some in a glass jar, no lid, and set it on the window sill of my reloading room. After about two months, I took a little of it out and put a match to it. It fizzled, but did not "POOF!" like most powders. After three months it just fizzled and it was very hard to lite.

This is just my experience. With-out the powder name, I realize no one else can try to do the same thing I did. Sorry. But with my little experiment, I have decided that most of these guys are correct and I do not leave powder in my measure more than a day or so.
Old March 1, 2012, 09:16 AM   #17
kalevatom

I have 2 caliber changes for my Dillon and I usually don't empty the powder, but, I don't go for extended durations without changing calibers. I do use pillow cases as covers and Asparagus rubber bands work great as name tags on the powder tubes.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:12 PM   #18
Daggitt

I empty mine every time. I am in a dry room but I worry if left in the powdermeasure it will absorb ambient humidity. Then when I pour it back in the can , I would contaminate the entire can. The oldtimers said keep your powder dry. It is still the best practice in my opinion.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:43 AM   #19
joe45c

like others have said i put everything away, that includes the powder, primmers, bullets, dies, and everything else i had out before i shut out the light. That way i can start out with a clean setup next time.