The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 24, 2009, 01:54 PM   #1
ibe4buckshot

I want an ak-47 HELP!

There are so many FRIKIN choices I think my mind is gonna blow I want one for cheap, that works, say chinese... I will be using it for standard shooting and protection against bad guys at close range. Anything at 100 yds and over gets a taste of my Bushmaster
Old June 24, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2
gkdir

Well Buckshot, I was doing pretty good with your post till I got to that "CHEAP" word. Almost all of them are over priced today. You can still get a "plain jane" yugo, or romanian, for under $500.00. Wait a bit longer and all of them will be coming down in price since,T.E.O.T.W.A.W.K.I., didn't take place after last Jan.(ha) Check out the Saiga's, see quite a few of them in pawn shops lately. Truthfully, you really want the skinny on AK's, go to www.suarezinternational. com, they "breath" the AK. Good luck with that Bushmaster, I traded mine for a PolyTech /forged reciever. Never looked back.

Last edited by gkdir; June 24, 2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: missspelled word
Old June 24, 2009, 05:04 PM   #3
cbrgator

Just grab a Romanian WASR that you can inspect in person. For your intended use, its just fine.
Old June 25, 2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Vergeltung

what he said. +1
Old June 25, 2009, 12:43 PM   #5
spyderdude

I've been quite pleased with my Romanian GP WASR10 that I purchased almost 3 years ago for $415 brand new. It's had a couple FTFs using WOLF ammo, but other than that it has functioned like an AK-47 should and is reasonably accurate for defensive use.
Old June 25, 2009, 01:10 PM   #6
Vergeltung

same with me (same exact gun). I had TWO, and only 2 FTF's and that was with a 40-round stell mag I used that had problems regardless of whether it was loaded w/40 or 20, the second to last cartridge jammed everytime.

so, it was the mag's fault. otherwise 100s of rounds downrange without issue.
Old June 26, 2009, 01:33 AM   #7
obxned

The WASR-10 is the cheapest AK you are likely to find. They are rugged and reliable and accurate enough to do the job out to a couple of hundred yards.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old June 26, 2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Vergeltung

yep. exactly. you'll encounter alot of snobbery from 2 crowds. the plastic fantastic crowd, and the AK crowd that thinks only a Russian AK is really an AK.

however, in the final analysis, the WASR (and kinds like it) goes bang when you pull the trigger and has all the reliability of any AK.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:11 AM   #9
chris in va

Saigas are going for $400 at my local store. Convert it later if you like, or keep it in sporter configuration. They're brand new BTW.
Old June 26, 2009, 12:58 PM   #10
jehu

Cheap & Chinese = Mak90 = best AK buy in todays world, alot better quality than a WASR:barf:
Old June 26, 2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Vergeltung

Quote:
Cheap & Chinese = Mak90 = best AK buy in todays world, alot better quality than a WASR
well, almost double the price will get you that. what commodity is NOT like that? guns are not any different. sounds like you are a little long on advice and short on facts.... Norincos are not imported here anymore, so, the prices are way up. so, I don't know where you get "cheap" from...

post #8 sort of predicts post #10. I ought to buy a lottery ticket!!

Last edited by Vergeltung; June 26, 2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: additions
Old June 26, 2009, 03:18 PM   #12
JustDreadful

MAKs were available brand new in the box for @$500 up until the Great Panic. I bought a Norinco Hunter just a couple months ago for less than $300. The ChiCom guns are better, and have few issues with canted sights or trigger slap. The trigger on my 84s puts those on all my other military-style rifles to shame.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a WASR or IO, if I wanted one, as long as I could check it out beforehand. (Or could buy a "certified" one from Henderson Defense, right here in S. Nevada )

"Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge."
Old June 26, 2009, 05:57 PM   #13
Quentin2

I agree with the many recommendations for the WASR-10. Mine has been reliable since day one and still is three years later. As prices get back within reason the WASR should be the cheapest reliable AK available.
Old June 26, 2009, 06:00 PM   #14
kristop64089

Personally, I would spend a little more time and money, and try to find a Romanian SAR-1.

They areusually much better than the WASR, the trigger slap is an easy fix, and generally, they are of better quality.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:53 PM   #15
JustDreadful

There's also the Serbian guns coming into the country now. They look fantastic, but will require conversion to accept high-cap mags and get rid of the butthole "sporter" stock.

"Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge."