The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 25, 2009, 08:59 PM   #1
TimNelson

Savage Stock Scopes?

Can anyone tell me anything about the scopes that come on the savage package deals? Looking at getting a savage 30-06 package deal with the accutrigger for 377 dollars but want to know about the scope that comes with them.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:03 PM   #2
jmr40

At one time they were either Bushnell or Simmons. They probably use the lowest bidder and the brand could change. They are not a quality scope and I would probably replace it as soon as I could afford to do so.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:12 PM   #3
overkill556x45

Last time I looked at Savage Package Series rifles, they had Simmons 3-9x40mm scopes on 'em. I looked through them and they're decidedly adequate.

The Savage package rifle is marketed toward the guy who hunts maybe twice a year and needs a truck gun the rest of the year or maybe just puts it back in the safe 'til next season. But don't let that stop you from getting one. The package series is probably the best thing for someone who is just starting into centerfire rifles. They are capable of quite good accuracy (the Accutrigger is worth much more than what Savage charges, IMHO) and the glass is adequate to get you through a few deer seasons.

As you get better with your rifle, you may want to consider an upgrade of both the rings and the scope (rings are important too! you don't have to spend a fortune, but don't cheap out either--I learned the hard way). You can get a pretty good 3-9x40 or (my favorite for the midwest) a fixed 4x with a big objective lens for $200 or $250. Good steel rings will run you about $30-$50. I would avoid the $150 ring sets unless you are going to put a serious bit of glass on a bench rifle or something.

For $377, I'd double check that it has the accutrigger. The 111 series package rifles with the accutrigger usually go for about $550 new. Used, $377 would be in the ball park.
Old June 25, 2009, 09:30 PM   #4
.300 Weatherby Mag

Garbage... I love savage rifles but the scopes on any of the package rifles (excluding law enforcement models) are absolute trash...
Old June 25, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Swampghost

The scopes can make a significant improvement to low recoil rifles like .22LR that don't bounce around too much.
Old June 26, 2009, 07:10 AM   #6
TimNelson

overkill, I did double check that price because thats what I was thinking, that was a lot cheaper than I expected. Walmart seems to always have good prices on there rifles and shotguns but this one amazes me.
Old June 26, 2009, 09:19 AM   #7
furtaker

My savage 22-250 came with a simmons on it, I used it for about a year, it was ok. I now have a Leupold on it, at the time I couldn't afford the rifle and the Leupold at the same time. The simmons was sufficiant and that was it!
Old June 26, 2009, 10:06 AM   #8
overkill556x45

For $377, I'd have that Savage in the safe yesterday.
Old June 26, 2009, 10:51 AM   #9
ndbbm

Savage makes a decent rifle but remember, you get what you pay for. I think the larger part of the $377 goes towards the rifle and the glass is usually from the lowest bidder.
Old June 27, 2009, 02:29 AM   #10
jhgreasemonkey

Get it and use it. I got a savage 110 package rifle with accu trigger on a killer sale for $350 3 or 4 years ago and it came with a cheepo simmons 8 point scope. I am still using it after some rough hunting banging around the woods and probably about 500 rounds shooting targets and such. The scope still works fine and holds zero. It is fine for normal use. When it fails I have a better scope waiting to mount. I will use it as long as it works since it is fairly clear and has no problems. It is not great by any means but the rifle without the scope is worth every penny at your price of $377 so get it regardless of the scope. You can upgrade it now or use it for a while like I am. Mine is a tack driver even with this scope.